Am I Underfeeding My Fish ...

paulyoung666

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
... I am giving 4 neons a tiny pinch of flake every other day but they seem to be hungry , they go straight to the top as soon as I put it in the water and it is gone in seconds , also they seem to hunting for food on the bottom all the time ...

I don't think your underfeeding, although I feed my fish everyday, especially my young fish or fry.
It's in their nature to be looking for food all of the time.
If I fed my fish every time they were looking for food then they would be very very fat.

Hi, you should be feeding your fish daily and feed only what will be consumed in 15 mins. You may have heard that 'a hungry fish is a healthy fish', which is true, but you shouldn't constantly underfeed as this will cause stress and greater susceptibility to disease. If they look hungry, they probably are. If they're foraging then you should increase their food intake. Hope this helps :)

Hi, you should be feeding your fish daily and feed only what will be consumed in 15 mins. You may have heard that 'a hungry fish is a healthy fish', which is true, but you shouldn't constantly underfeed as this will cause stress and greater susceptibility to disease. If they look hungry, they probably are. If they're foraging then you should increase their food intake. Hope this helps :)

To continue feeding for 15 minutes is an awful lot of food going into your tank in my opinion.Mine get fed to something similiar that they may get in their natural habitat, missing 2 days every week, different types of food, and no more than they can consume within 4/5 minutes.

Terry.

i often go the odd day with out feeding my fish but as a general rule i like to keep it once a day.

you really need to up your neons to a bigger group. Y do u only have four? :rolleyes:

I didn't mean to continue feeding for 15 mins, i meant that every last bit should be gone within 15 mins. I got this info from 3 fish keeping books i have. Its a good guide for not overfeeding but I would say if neons are foraging for food, they are too hungry. If the food is gone in seconds, its not enough. I feed my fish daily and they eat flake, bloodworm and green foods. Variety is best for your fish and you can usually tell if they are too hungry. If you have a feeling, your instinct is probably right :)

i often go the odd day with out feeding my fish but as a general rule i like to keep it once a day.

you really need to up your neons to a bigger group. Y do u only have four? :rolleyes:

First fish in a 40 litre tank , should be getting some more this weekend hopefully , not sure what to go for though , quite liked the look of guppies when I saw some the other day , any other suggestions ? ...

First fish in a 40 litre tank , should be getting some more this weekend hopefully , not sure what to go for though , quite liked the look of guppies when I saw some the other day , any other suggestions ? ...

Depends really..did you cycle the tank at all..?

Terry.

I didn't mean to continue feeding for 15 mins, i meant that every last bit should be gone within 15 mins. I got this info from 3 fish keeping books i have. Its a good guide for not overfeeding but I would say if neons are foraging for food, they are too hungry. If the food is gone in seconds, its not enough. I feed my fish daily and they eat flake, bloodworm and green foods. Variety is best for your fish and you can usually tell if they are too hungry. If you have a feeling, your instinct is probably right :)
My swordtail just ate pretty much all the food that floated on the surface and she's still foraging for food on the floor. It seems like it's not a sign of underfeeding.

First fish were in after a week , water sample was ok , my master test kit should be with me tomorrow so I can make sure all is ok ...

First fish were in after a week , water sample was ok , my master test kit should be with me tomorrow so I can make sure all is ok ...

I really wouldn't add anymore fish during a fish-in cycle in all honesty... monitor your water test results regulary and do water changes as and when required.

Terry.

Weekly water tests do you reckon ? , thanks for the advice btw :)

PFK either this month or last in their top 10 fishkeeping mistakes stated that fish are being underfeed not overfeed as most people think.

Probably in there natural habitat fish would graze and constantly feed small amounts. obviously not practical in a home aquarium.

PFK either this month or last in their top 10 fishkeeping mistakes stated that fish are being underfeed not overfeed as most people think.

Probably in there natural habitat fish would graze and constantly feed small amounts. obviously not practical in a home aquarium.

Thanks , might try giving them a little more I think ...

Most reactions

Back