Am I set for vacation?

wtusa17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I’m leaving from Friday night to Wednesday. I should I do water changes Friday morning? I have 6 tanks one of which is a fry tank. I have 2 automatic feeders and one is going on the fry tank. I have a betta tank, and tank with tetras mostly, and tank with tetras and an angel, a South American cichlid tank and an African cichlid tank. Which tank should I put the automatic feeder on? Also, do I need to feed my other fish? I can have someone feed them if I portion out what they should feed and it would be once every other day. Also, I have 2 planted tanks that don’t have timers and one that does. What do I do about the lights?

Bettas can go quite a while without food, so you shouldn't need one in there. Are the tetras in with your betta?

Oh, did see that.

@seangee might be able to help with the tetras. I remember him going on a vacation a while back. ;)

I would leave the adult fish without feeding. They will be fine and far more fish die from feeders dumping their contents in the tank than from starvation. I only make arrangement to feed my fish if I am gone for more than 2-3 weeks. The fry should probably be fed though.

You should pick up some cheap timers if you can, or can you arrange the tanks so they use the same timer? If I had to choose between on and off I would probably leave the lights off, but it does depend on what your plants are, they will suffer either way - so you are choosing which option is "least worse". In the UK even supermarkets carry timers nowadays, and you probably have enough time to get some off Amazon.

I would leave the adult fish without feeding. They will be fine and far more fish die from feeders dumping their contents in the tank than from starvation. I only make arrangement to feed my fish if I am gone for more than 2-3 weeks. The fry should probably be fed though.

You should pick up some cheap timers if you can, or can you arrange the tanks so they use the same timer? If I had to choose between on and off I would probably leave the lights off, but it does depend on what your plants are, they will suffer either way - so you are choosing which option is "least worse". In the UK even supermarkets carry timers nowadays, and you probably have enough time to get some off Amazon.
Ehh I don’t know if I could get some but I think I will be able to rearrange something for the timers

If you can't get timers, leave the lights off.

At least, this is what was recommended to me when I went on vacation. Not sure if that info is true.

If you can, leave the blinds up when you leave. This is provide a little light for your fish and plants.

At least, this is what was recommended to me when I went on vacation. Not sure if that info is true.

If you can, leave the blinds up when you leave. This is provide a little light for your fish and plants.
Ok thanks!

Yep that's correct :)

Most reactions

Back