Allergic To Something...

darciekim

Reaction score
So after getting my tank set up, and finally getting some fish going, I fed them today and within 15 minutes, the left side of my face got itchy and swelled up. I've never been allergic to anything but poison oak, and bee stings, so I'm at a loss as to whether it's the freeze-dried blood worms or the bottom feeder fish pellets. Anyone else have the same problem?? Scared to feed my fish now. lol.

This is common with reef tank as many of the corals are toxic but not so much with freshwater. What sort of things did you touch as you were setting it up? Carbon? Scratchy filters? etc.

This is common with reef tank as many of the corals are toxic but not so much with freshwater. What sort of things did you touch as you were setting it up? Carbon? Scratchy filters? etc.

Well the tank was set up already. I'd been cycling the water. Just added the fish today. The only thing I did was give them some of the shrimp pellets, and a couple of the blood worms. I'm guessing I'm allergic to one of those. I know it's not the fish flakes because I've handled flakes recently with no issue.

An allergic reaction to freeze dried bllodworms is actually quite common :good:

Very interesting...I've never had an issue so had to look this one up.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/134369-are-you-allergic-to-bloodworm/

Very interesting...I've never had an issue so had to look this one up.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/134369-are-you-allergic-to-bloodworm/

Thanks for sharing that link with me. I'm pretty sure that's what it is now. Kind of an inconvenience, but at least I have answers. *sigh*

I keep a box of rubber gloves in my study for whenever I have to handle corals. Maybe that's what you need. ;)

Yah, i got bumps too, so i try not to use them. And when i have too(Mr. Betta is very fussy and wont eat his pellets) i use long tweezers to pick them up.

Most reactions

Back