All Pond Solutions Filters

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AshleyT

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys im moving my fish tank in a couple of weeks time an changing over to mbuna and whilst im at it im going to go for an external filter with fluval been over priced an never heard anything bad about APS so its between the 1000 with the 9w uv light or the 1400 would like peoples opinions because am not sure which would be better and its about 30 gallons

I would go with the 1400EF :) all my filters are APS filters they are really good for the money.

how much did you pay for yours if you dont mind me asking iv seen them on amazon for about £65

I signed up for the aps newsletter and got a 15% discount of their website price of £59.99, just checked there is no discount at the moment.

how quiet is it by the way because I have my tank in my bedroom so obviously it needs pritty quite

Oh, that's the one I want, too! Keep your eye out for that 15% discount again and I think I'll get one as well!

Then we can compare notes!

ive heard they can be a little noisy , but then im sure there are views on about every filter out there saying they can be noisy

i can honestly say that my ehiems have always been quiet no matter how old

but expensive

I'm running an APS 2000lph on a tank in my bedroom and it makes a very, very quiet hum, no more than that.

well if it ends up been to irritating ill just box it in

I dont have any in my bedroom, but with 5 x 2000lph in the front room I can hear a hum. All filters make a humming noise as the motor is running, just make sure all the pipework is away from the cabinate, this is where most of the vibration noise will come from with any filter.

it will be the first external filter, iv always had internal but I want the flow for mbuna

I've been running one for a year now. The UV model. Its been absolutely fine, keeps my 125L Roma clean and in good testing shape. Pretty quiet - was a bit noisy following its last strip down, but I opened it and pumped it back through again so maybe just an air blockage.

In terms of value, been happy with it. 

I've got the 2000 on my 20 gallon, if you can push to it, go for it.

Only points I will make, be aware that they're huge filters, great for media space, but you do need to make sure it'll fit in the cabinet, also they're power hungry on the old electricity, worth doing the maths if you're the bill payer on whether one of the more expensive economical filters may pay for themselves in a year.

Other than that, they're nice filters, and mine isn't really all that noisy, as said, I can hear it's on, but it's not intrusive, but it is in a random bit of the house (very strange shaped old cottage, it's kinda in a hallway).

Could you recommend something good but cheaper on the lekky, highest I can go is £80

Most reactions

Back