All In One Kits Or Buy Separately?

JackoUK

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi

I am planning on starting up a mini reef tank. I am completely new to the marine side of the hobby but do have three successful tropical freshwater tanks. I have bought a few books and read a few magazines and i'm at the point where i'd like to start looking for a tank and equipment.

What I was wondering was whether I should go for an all in one kit or buy all the parts serparately?

If the all in one kits are good has anyone had any experience with the 'Resun dmc-500 pl'? There is one in a LFS thats for sale at only £199. I believe it's a 97L tank and has everything thats needed for the setup? Or there is the 130L Red Sea Max one thats a lot dearer at £699.

Thanks in advance :)

From what I have read I would avoid the redsea max one (poor equipment). The Auqamedic range are very good if you are going for a bigger all in one tank (I was going to go for one of these before I got space to set up a bigger tank). Not sure about the other one I'm afraid.

What are you looking to accomplish with the tank livestock wise?

IMO if your not worried about spending alittle extra money the all in one kits are nice becouse you know you got everything you need to start.If your looking too save as much money as possible than buying it piece by piece might be the best.Either way with the kits you still need to add several things such as Skimmers,phosban reactor,powerheads ect... Depending on the set up you want of corse. good luck

all in ones are always lacking in something.... whether it be weak PC lights or chinese made return pumps. Something can and probably will get upgraded/replaced.

That said if you like the look of all in ones go for it.

What are you looking to accomplish with the tank livestock wise?

I'm looking for a small reef setup with coral and invertabrates. I'd also like a few fish but understand in a 100L tank they would have to be minimal. Really it's a way to get into the marine scene in a way I can manage and understand. :)

could you possibly be more specific? Like what corals, most all in ones come with some PC lights that can keep soft and almost all lps corals, but isnt that good for sps corals. Plus you might be interested in anemones etc.

could you possibly be more specific? Like what corals, most all in ones come with some PC lights that can keep soft and almost all lps corals, but isnt that good for sps corals. Plus you might be interested in anemones etc.

I'll be honest with you Musho3210 I haven't looked at specific corals that I would be interested in yet. Any good book reccomendations for beginners tanks and maybe one on corals would be very helpful. I have to admit i'm struggling finding books in my LFS that have all the information in I require.

Thankyou in advance. :good:

Just to add i've seen some reports on the 'Aqua Medic Nanowave 29' on US forums. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this all in one setup or knew if it was available on the UK market or becoming available? :)

Dunno about the tank. I'd suggest looking through some online livestock sites like liveaquaria.com to get an idea for what corals you like. Also don't forget to read through journals and stickies atop this tank for list of what some people keep :)

Dunno about the tank. I'd suggest looking through some online livestock sites like liveaquaria.com to get an idea for what corals you like. Also don't forget to read through journals and stickies atop this tank for list of what some people keep :)

Thanks for the advice. I've just ordered a few books on Corals and marine setups. I think I need to learn a bit more about the invertabrates and tank setups before I even think about getting a tank and equipment. :good:

From what I have read I would avoid the redsea max one (poor equipment). The Auqamedic range are very good if you are going for a bigger all in one tank (I was going to go for one of these before I got space to set up a bigger tank). Not sure about the other one I'm afraid.

about the red sea, ive heard the exact opposite and that all the equipment is top notch (except the skimmer) and that the equipment will far outdate other all in ones. I guess this is why its so darn expensive.....

Anyway because of the price, i wouldnt go for the red sea as a first tank.

Most reactions

Back