All Hail The Shrimp Army

TDI-line

Reaction score
Hi,

been visiting for a few days, so decided to join.

My tank has become a shrimp and bristlenose baby factory lately, was fully planted but have scaled down occupents due to house move soon.

Welcome to the board.

hey,

you mentioned that your tank as a bristlenose baby factory. :hyper: Maybe you could help me.. :shout: .
i have a 4'' male, 3'' + a 2'' females in my 2ft tank. I found a large clump of orange egs about a week ago, in the corner behind the log. However, the next day we had a black out and the male left the eggs. -_- [ i have read that the male is meant to stay with the eggs for approx 2 weeks...]
any way, we wanted to protect the eggs from the other fish so we put a cover over them. :/
The male bristle nose moved the cover a few days later and ever since then the egg number have been getting less and less; until 3 days ago, they were all gone. :-(
The eggs would have been visible for approx 4-5 days. do you think the male bristlenose ate them??
should i have covered them?? wat can i do for next time to ensure some babies?? :(
*anyones help on this would be muchly appreciated*

ta

Thanks for the welcomes.

lfox, my baby factory consists of 2 males, and 4 females, they spawn in a long piece of driftwood which is hollowed out like a cave, this way the male can guard the eggs at all times. My alpha male does stay with the eggs unless he is hungry, then he swims off and the other male jumps in the log and then all hell breaks loose.

Myabe worth have a look for a suitable piece of driftwood or trying to make a small cave which he can guard, good luck.

Most reactions

Back