Algea Feeder

Galedav

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I need some thing that wont eat triops but also wont get eaten by the. i also need it to eat any algea on the tank. Any suggestions? does such a thing even excist?

try a little hard graft and buy a algea scraper, or failing that, use a rough sponge and scrap away the algea.
no shrimps do well in cold water, but amanos are good at eating algea in tropical tanks, donno about them and triops eating habits tough.

If you set the water temperature to about 22C, you could try a couple of amanos. Healthy adult amanos shouldn't have much trouble avoiding a triops, especially if you give them a few places to hide. Bear in mind, they won't 'cure' your algae problem tho...

Actually, I swear my amanos used to play a game called 'pull the tail on the triops'. :lol:

Just watch the water quality. If your shrimp get sick, they might not swim away fast enough...

I had amanos with my triops too, they work great provided you have a hiding place for them to go when they shed their skin. Triops don't actively go looking for them, so something like half a flowerpot will do good :good: . Remember however that unlike triops, amano shrimp require an aquarium with no ammonia or nitrite, so you will need to wait for the tank to cycle before adding them. And the amano shrimp require more water changes to keep nitrate down than triops do.

IMO the best algae eater for a triops tank are the pest tadpole snails you get with plants, the adults are too big for the triops to eat and are just as tolerant of water conditions as the triops :good: .
The triops will eat small snails and snail eggs (if they are hungry enough) so they wont take over the tank either.
Ramshorn snails work too, but I've heard stories of them actually attacking triops that are having any problems shedding their skin (sounds crazy I know).

When I grew triops I had a handful of trumpet snails in with them that seemed to help keep their tank free of debris.

Ramshorns... Pah.
I got a couple of hitchhiking ramshorns with some milfoil I bought. They actually took over my triops bowl! :crazy: Pesky things are worse than rabbits!

http://www.snailshop.ashopcommerce.co.uk/

However, an apple snail is a bad idea, they need a cycled aquarium, and since you don't keep fish - that's a lot of time and effort going to go into researching about cycling and cycling the tank just for one apple snail. Pest tadpole snails are much better suited, and second to them are Malaysian trumpet snails.

http://www.snailshop.ashopcommerce.co.uk/

However, an apple snail is a bad idea, they need a cycled aquarium, and since you don't keep fish - that's a lot of time and effort going to go into researching about cycling and cycling the tank just for one apple snail. Pest tadpole snails are much better suited, and second to them are Malaysian trumpet snails.
one question. i geuss theyre called pests cause they multiply loads? i cant deal with 300 hundred snails eating every bit of foliage in sight (thats hat im going to get triops for)

Yep, but they don't eat the plants and they wont multiply to those numbers with triops in the tank.

Most reactions

Back