Algea Eaters

jurme

Reaction score
i was wondering what algea eaters migth be appropriate for a densely decorated cichlid tank (20 gallon) , i have a pleco that i plan on moving out of that tank before i put all the plants, and rest of the caves in, due to it's clumsy nature, and large size. any small hard working algea eaters out there that are sold for a reasonable price?

yup a sponge and a scraper....

You could have a bristlenose but don't rely on any fish to eat algae.

Bristle nose for sure. Or if you could find some pit bull plecos they are small only 2" and are awesome little workers. I'm have been desperately looking for some for almost a year now. I saw them once at my lf and never saw them again. I passed them up and have regreted it ever since.

i was wondering what algea eaters migth be appropriate for a densely decorated cichlid tank (20 gallon) , i have a pleco that i plan on moving out of that tank before i put all the plants, and rest of the caves in, due to it's clumsy nature, and large size. any small hard working algea eaters out there that are sold for a reasonable price?

Get Siamese Algae Eater, doesn't seem to eat the plants, just algae, not that expensive too. If algae does run out, it can eat normal fish food.
Don't get Chinese Algae Eaters, if they don't have algae to eat, they start to eat the slime coat of other fish.
Bristle Noses can get really large!

I agree with whatthejack. I have had Chinese algae eaters kill some of my fish before. You could always get Otos, they do well in groups and can get in all the nooks and cranes that the larger fish can't get to. Just make sure you have plenty of hiding spots for them so they don't get eaten lol

Get Siamese Algae Eater

+1 :good:

What cichlids do you have?

I have had success keeping amano shrimps with some cichlids (kribs, cockatoos, cutteri & juvi firemouth, not all at the same time). However, they were rather large by the time the cichlids came along! Not guaranteed though!

IMO having a plec to eat algae is a waste of time as they might eat a little but you must supplement their diets, and they are huge poop machines = more nitrates = more algae :nod:

Get Siamese Algae Eater

I have had success keeping amano shrimps with some cichlids (kribs, cockatoos, cutteri & juvi firemouth, not all at the same time). However, they were rather large by the time the cichlids came along! Not guaranteed though!

IMO having a plec to eat algae is a waste of time as they might eat a little but you must supplement their diets, and they are huge poop machines = more nitrates = more algae :nod:

I like keeping fish in the gourami and angelfish society

Get Siamese Algae Eater

I guess I should have mentioned how aggressive my tank is... two convicts and a jack dempsey, so i'm gonna need a tuff algea eater.

Most reactions

Back