Algea Eaters

Joller

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'd like a fish that eats algae for my community tank, i'm going to steer well clear of chinese algae eaters, ive got a mate that bought three and they teamed up and ate a fish even when they were small. anyway whats another fish that munches on algae? i wouldn't mind a few rainbow sharks

my other fish are 2 blue acaras, 3 angels, and 3 bolivian rams. oh and 1 kuhlii loach :p
the tank is 150L

<a href="http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=35094" target="_blank">http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=35094</a>

it says in there that otos do the same thing as chinese algae eaters, and i dont think shrimp would last long with my big mumma blue acara around

Oto's are great! They keep to themselves and none of the other fish are bothered by them. Just two of the little critters cleaned out my algae ravaged tank in 24hrs!

I think it's a myth that they behave like Chinese Algae Eaters.

I also think you could go for an, otocinclus, will clear the tank of algae pretty quickly, ottos have never bothered any of my fish, including neons!

id get otos and hillstream loach (butterfly loach). You'd have a good team there, otos to eat the brown algae, loach to eat the green.

id get otos and hillstream loach (butterfly loach). You'd have a good team there, otos to eat the brown algae, loach to eat the green.

check out a bristle nose pleco or a rubber lip. i just bought a 3" rubber lip the other day and he stays busy.

what about Garra sp. ? I have some, they are great, and not aggressive, just really like their food :)

They also eat other stuff so there is no danger of them starving to death if there is no more algae left... And also mine are out all the time during the day, unlike my plecos...

Do ottos eat the hair algea? I'm considering getting a few to help keep a tank I will shortly be setting up clean.

Plus, how many would I need? They would be in a 30L tank with just a pair of Kribs in.

Sorry to kindof steal the post a bit with my questions :D

Claire

Do ottos eat the hair algea? I'm considering getting a few to help keep a tank I will shortly be setting up clean.

Plus, how many would I need? They would be in a 30L tank with just a pair of Kribs in.

Sorry to kindof steal the post a bit with my questions :D

Claire
you cant keep ottos in anything smaller than 60 litres, theyll starve, and no they dont eat hair algae, it is cause by low flow/ low CO2

Most reactions

Back