Algae!

nikkifro8994

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello. I have 2 10 gallon tanks that are growing algae like crazy. I have been cleaning them daily with a magnet scrubber to get rid of it. I have algae because the only place that I can put the tanks is by a window that gets alot of sun in the evenings.

Is there anything I can do to at least cut down on the algae growth? I really hate adding any kind of chemicals to my tanks and they are both pretty full on fish. One has 5 guppies and 2 platies. The other has 3 neon tetras, 4 rasboras, and 1 gourami. Would shrimp or snails do the job? I can't move the tanks anywhere else, so there will always be algae for them to eat.

Thanks for your help!
Nikki

live plants especially really fast growing ones can help by out competing the algae. hornwort is a good example. and shrimp and snails will help but that may or may not ultimately solve your problem

This isnt an emergency... But a helpful tip is not to place them by sunlight, just like weeds the algae enhances the solar energy and thus making it grow :)

I heard bristlenoses and plecos do a better job of removing algae than snails

Dont put plecos in a 10 gallon! Try ottosicluses :) they are small but get the job done :)

I agree. Try an oto or two in each plecos even the smaller variety of bristlenose will easily outgrow a 10 gallon.

I cant move the tanks or put in a curtain. The only place they can go is by that window. Can I even put 3 ottos in each tank? Wouldn't that overstock them? One has 5 guppies and 2 platies and the other has 1 gourami, 3 neons, and 4 rasboras.

if you're worried about over stocking then get yourself a couple of snails and some shrimp. Amano shrimp are bigger and so less tempting to eat (as they wont fit in the fishes mouth). My shrimp keep the suckers on my filter and heater looking like new, and they clean up my plants without damaging the actual plant itself!

As for snails, get nerites as they cant breed in fresh water (thanks to other members for that info :good: ) or apple snails, as they lay their eggs above water, so you can check for eggs and remove them if you don't want them to breed.

Get some plants in there. Moss is a good choice (you'll also need this for the shrimp), and you can get cheap marimo moss balls on ebay, although don't believe the blurb that they out compete algae for nutrients. I have 6 medium - large sized balls in my 10 gallon and I'm having to buy snails to get rid of the glass algae.

As for tank placement, why did you get a tank, nevermind 2, if you had to put them near a window? I'm not flaming here, I'm just asking. If it was me, it's not the algae I'd be worried about but more that the sunlight would heat up the water and cause more fluctuations in temperature rather than a nice constant :( I don't understand why you can't put a curtain or blind up... maybe back the side(s) of the tank closest to the window with a tank backing or coloured paper?

I have had one tank for 2 years and the other for 3 months. I got them when i was in my old bedroom. In there, they were on the wall opposite the window. in my new room, the only place for them to go is by that window. My room is the only room that they can be in. I have a background on the back of both tanks, but they still get algae on the sides and on the rocks. I've never had an issue with the temperatures, except overnight. Thats why I have the heaters.

Otos won't be able to keep up with the algae once it is started. I doubt the snails will either. The fact of the matter is that aquariums and sunshine don't mix. That is source and therein is the solution.

I have my 55 gallon sitting in front of a window. I put up dark curtians and keep them closed during the day. Why is that not an option for you? As long as you have all of that sunlight hitting the tank, you will have algea.

Can you cover some of your tank with for example aluminium baking foil. Put it round the back and sides to cut down on the sunlight getting in.

I used this (but all round the tank) when I was treating cyanobacteria (bluegreen algae) and it worked a treat.

Cathy

Most reactions

Back