Algae

christie71

Reaction score
:shout: I have an algae problem starting in my tank... It is mostly brown- it started on the shell and has traveled onto my fake and one live plant and now I see a little bit of green growing.
The tank is about 2 months old and is ending it's fishy cycle. I can do anouther reading if it would help but my am was down, nitrite up( and coming down) and nitrate climbing. My tank has drift wood in it and a large shell... I don't know if that matters... my PH has been 7.
I do have four loaches- 2 kuhli and 2 burmese/zebra loaches and while they seem to nibble on it they don't seem to make a dent...
How do I get rid of it, will it hurt my fish and what can I "wash" everything off with? :S
Thanks for your help! :good:
Christie
29 gal
2 dwarf Gourami's
2 cherry barbs
4 loaches

The brown stuff is diatoms they will disappear by themselves after a few weeks, they are common in new low light tanks, you can just scrub them off any decor you have when you do water changes they are pretty soft, you can wash them off tougher leaf plants a bit of filter sponge and tank water would do it. It is unsightly but nothing to worry about as far as the fish are concerned. None of the fish you have are algae eaters, Ottos love eating them, but I wouldn’t add any until the tank is completely cycled. The green algae I don’t know there are so many types, the only algae that are not good for fish are blue green algae, its got a musty smell and is very soft. Its not that harmful either. Good numbers of growing plants and algae eaters are the only real long term way to control algae.

The shell may harden your water some, not necessarily a problem though.

agreed. nothing to worry about.

the shell may harden the water but i believe wood will soften it. So you may achieve some sort of balance. Not a big deal either way.

Are your dwarf gourami both males. I assume they are. I don't think you'll have any problems but keep an eye on them for aggression.

I'd be surprised if the gouramis survive a fish cycle, fishless would have been better. The algae will grow due to high nutrient levels, you can just remove the algae by hand.

didn't even think of that for some reason. Dwarf gourami are known for sensitivity

make sure you keep up with the water changes.

Is the algae bright green? and also how long do you leave you light on in your tank?

i leave the light on in the tank for about a maximum of 8 hrs a day,
Thats about the right amount of time to be honest. The only really good algae cure is a well balanced, mature tank with loads of quick growing plants. They will then outcompete your algae for nutrients. Amano shrimp eat some algae types but not all unfortunately. Prevention is far better. In a tank as new as yours im not surprised youre having some algae issues either. Very common when you set up. Id add a few more real plants a give it a few months if I was you.

Good luck

:good:

Thank you all for your help!
My tank is officially cycled:) Very happy about that-- I didn't lose one fish and all look happy and healthy!:) I did a 50% water change and scrubbed off the alage so hopefully... I have the one live plant in there but am not expecting it to last long as it is getting eatten quickly...
Both of my gourami's are male. They have seemed to get the pecking order, the one is def top fish but as he may chase the other has never really harmed him... hopefully that continues.
Any sugg on the type of plants i can add that won't be eatten? Thanks again for your help!

Sorry - didn't answer some ?'s
the alage (green) was just green I wouldn't say it was bright...
I leave my tank light on for about15 hours a day... 8am to 11pm is that too long?

I am in the similar situation like Christie:
~2months old tank, it has been cycled
about 15 hours light everyday (strictly fluorescent light, my apartment has very poor natural lighting)
noticed quite a few brown algae spot on decor
tried algae destroyer once and will NEVER do that again (thank god fishes were not hurt)
I love the idea to add some fast-grow plants to the tank to suppress the algaes. Which kind will be the good to start with? If it is something my fishes like to nibble on, that will be even better :)
many thanks in advance
Ming

15 hours a day is too long, cutting it down to 8 - 10 hours a day will help. Even adding a break of 2-3 hours in the middle has been reccomended in the past.
The brown algae is common in new tanks and will probably clear up by itself given time.

Some plants that are fast growers would be (Lifted directly from George Farmer's sticky in the planted section.)
Hygrophila species
Ludwigia species
Rotala species
Egeria species
Brazilian Water Ivy
Small Ambulia
Mexican Oak Leaf
Water Sprite
Hornwort

Since the plants are fast growing, fish having a nibble shouldn't be a problem :)

thanks, I went and got some Anacharis (belong to the Egeria species?) to start with. hopefully it will help to control brown algae growth.

Most reactions

Back