Algae Troubles, Please Go To Last Few Posts.

Dr Bob

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I've just set up my first planted tank, all the plants came in little black pots with rock wool (roots hanging out the bottom).
Should I remove all the plants from the pots? if I don't will this effect the plants growth?

Cheers,

Paul...

oh yeah, and a pic :good:

DSCF2897.jpg

Most people remove the rock wool to allow the roots to grow well and spread out. Be careful not to damage the roots when pulling the wool off.

Yeah take them out of the pots and remove the rock wool. Nice job, love the rocks and black sand.

A good way to remove rockwool is to take a razor and make 4 cuts one each quarter turn, then pull it apart and if you do this while you are doing a water change what I do is rinse the roots off in the water which has been removed, this usauly loosens up the remianing rock wool and allows you to get it all off.

note: rockwool is nasty stuff ( I wish they wouldn't put plants in it) and loose fibers can kill fish if they try and eat them.

note: rockwool is nasty stuff ( I wish they wouldn't put plants in it) and loose fibers can kill fish if they try and eat them.

:crazy: :crazy:

I removed the plant completely from the tank and ran it under water to loosen the rockwool, then did a water change to suck up any floating bits.

I was in 2 minds about planting the tank but now I've got those 6 in there I really hope they are ok. :)

Can't believe how different my tank looks now!

DSCF2483.jpg

DSCF2897.jpg

(from this thread http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...161707&st=0 )

I bought plants like this too! what i did was remove the pots, but kept the rockwool on the roots. this gives them a little encouragement to spread the roots for some reason. after a while, the rockwool comes off the roots and floats about. you could then just take the rockwool out. simple! :fun:

2 Months on and well frankly, it's disgusting!!
I've been doing the same amount of water changes I always have done but... :-( :( :crazy: well here, check out the pics :

DSCF3009.jpg

DSCF3010.jpg

DSCF3012.jpg

DSCF3014.jpg

DSCF3015.jpg

DSCF3017.jpg

DSCF3021.jpg

DSCF3018.jpg

I've tried Green water control and hair algae treatment but so far nothing is touching it.
Can't believe the colour difference of the gravel :no: :X :angry:

Never had this amount of algae with the the non planted tank.

Any suggestions???

All I can suggest is taking everything out of the tank and thoroughly cleaning it, boiling/steralizing what you can. As far as the plants go, you could either try and get all of the algae off manually, or just throw them away (bit of a waste of money). Algae usually always happens when people start out with plants, and it puts them off. You should fill your tank with fast growing stem plants from the start, this should help avoid any algae issues. Sorry you had to suffer algae, i've been lucky with mine for months. *Touch wood*.

Neal

I'm not sure really, i've never really looked into algae as i've never suffered from it. By looking at it, i'd say it's hair algae, but your better off renaming your thread saying "Algae troubles - Go to last post" or something, and waiting for someone more experienced than myself to answer.

Neal

im rteally no expert on algae mate,but i had similar problems.i cut down on my lighting and overdosed with seachem.it worked a treat.not a great piture i know,but thats 2 weeks after dosing and its all gone.

Attachments

• 19112006.jpg
    19112006.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 56

Most reactions

Back