Algae Sand

swrzzzz

Reaction score
Hi

My tank is about 6 months old now and well stablilised, but I am getting regular layers of green hairy/stringy algae on the sand. It is also occurring on the rocks and glass but my Goby and the apple snails do seem to keep it down fairly well on hard surfaces

The tank is planted with about 8 plants which are only growing slowly. The water levels are very good as I do changes regularly.

I think I have a problem in that my tank is fairly close to a window (Its too late to move it now) but I do keep the blinds mostly closed and the light is on mainly in the evenings maybe for 6 or 7 hours

I change the water weekly and disturb the sand so that it looks clean and the algae in buried away from the light but it always comes back in about 2 days.

Is there anything I can do about this? Is there a fish that will eat the algae off of the sand?

Thanks as usual

Steve

Hi

My tank is about 6 months old now and well stablilised, but I am getting regular layers of green hairy/stringy algae on the sand. It is also occurring on the rocks and glass but my Goby and the apple snails do seem to keep it down fairly well on hard surfaces

The tank is planted with about 8 plants which are only growing slowly. The water levels are very good as I do changes regularly.

I think I have a problem in that my tank is fairly close to a window (Its too late to move it now) but I do keep the blinds mostly closed and the light is on mainly in the evenings maybe for 6 or 7 hours

I change the water weekly and disturb the sand so that it looks clean and the algae in buried away from the light but it always comes back in about 2 days.

Is there anything I can do about this? Is there a fish that will eat the algae off of the sand?

Thanks as usual

Steve
hmm maybe try a group of corydoras and some headstanders, my 3 headstanders do my tank alone but im also getting cory's to keep sand moving giving less chance for the algea to bloom.

Dan

Hi

Thanks as usual

Steve
hmm maybe try a group of corydoras and some headstanders, my 3 headstanders do my tank alone but im also getting cory's to keep sand moving giving less chance for the algea to bloom.

Dan

Sorry I should have said what fish I have...

4 cory
1 goby
6 gold danios
6 diamond head tetras
4 guramis
2 rams
2 apple snails

This is is a 200L tank.

So I already have 4 cories... they snuffle about a bit but dont seem to be able to turn it all over quickly enough

Steve

Hi

Thanks as usual

Steve

Dan

Sorry I should have said what fish I have...

4 cory
1 goby
6 gold danios
6 diamond head tetras
4 guramis
2 rams
2 apple snails

This is is a 200L tank.

So I already have 4 cories... they snuffle about a bit but dont seem to be able to turn it all over quickly enough

Steve

4 cory's is good anyway, for cory's to show a good personality and be happy they need between 6-10 minimum, the more you get the faster and happier they are.

My horseface loaches keep all my sand clean. They sift it. It goes in through their mouth and out through their gills.

I think there are two very similar species and one is friendlier than the other so be careful, and do some research before getting any. Mine are awesome: very entertaining as well as doing a great job.

Please research before getting one though as I am no expert so don't know if a horseface is suitable for your current tank and stock. All I know it that they work well for mine.

Good luck.

We had a small problem with green alge on the sand and rocks so we investrd in 5 shrimp! they have done an awsome job in cleaning it all up!! could be worth a try? :D

Most reactions

Back