Algae on the Rocks

steven_yyz

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm finding that algae is growing on my rocks...I clean the rocks every once in a while with my python but the algae is growing quite a bit lately.

Is there a bottom feeder that I can buy that will clean the rocks? I already have 3 albino corys and 1 plec that just cleans the glass at night.

All my fish are healthy, I haven't had any die...I also do water changes ever couple of weeks and I have some live plants.

Any help?

steven_yyz

I have a single common pleco in my tank - I put him in when I noticed a light layer of algea starting to grow on the sides and gravel. He ate it up within a week and I've had no sign of it since. *shrug*

...of course, now I find out that this dude is gonna get huge and too big for my tank. :p

Edit: You may also want to consider frequent vacs - possibly once a week? (Get someone else's second opinion, I'm still new too!)

By the way - AWESOME tank!! :)

and... silly me. :) I saw your username "steven_yyz"...not a hockey fan by any chance are ya? (Sorry, can't live in Detroit without having Hockey on the brain. ;) )

Not sure why your plec isn't eating the algae on the rocks mine eats everything everywhere and leaves a trail behind him.

I'd suggest a pair of otto's you'll enjoy them and they'll fix up your algae issue.

you can also try putting a golden apple snail in your tank that will also eat algie well it does the job for me anyway B)

LOL....no not a hockey fan. YYZ is the airport code for Toronto's airport.

Maybe I'll look at getting some otto's. The Plec only eats from the glass, he does a super job of cleaning that though!

I don't know if I want to start the snails, don't they multiply like crazy?

Thanks.

steven_yyz

Most reactions

Back