Algae On Plants

FUB

Reaction score
Hi, I have a tank that has had excess lagae growth in the past, that I know have under control.

I have some broad leaf plants in the tank (not sure of their name) but some of them have algae covering their leaves.
How far back can I prune the plant, to pull out the algae leaves, without damaging the plant?

Is it just easier to buy new plants and get rid of these?

Thanks
Andy

You can cut the stem off right at the base of the plant.

But it is better to figure out why the algae is growing on your plant, so that why you can stop is from coming back again..

Check this site out to try to find out what type of algae you have:

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

-FHM

Hi, Thanks

Its definitely Blue Green Algae, and I seem to have it under control now, less light and less fish food have done the trick with no adverse affects to fish.

I have taken off a few of the leaves at the base of the plant (the ones covered with most algae), and am going to wait for some new growth, before removing the rest.

Then I will try the blackout method to make sure I get rid of any left over.

your plant might be an anubias, I got one and have algae on it already as well because it grows slow. Reducing light did reduce algae on the leaves though

Done a bit of checking up, and it does look like a type of anubias.
Interesting that its common for algae growth!
It also only needs low light levels, so I'll be changing the light timer for a much shorter period now.
I'm leaving it off completely for four days to kill off any left over algae.

Most reactions

Back