Algae Infestation in Cycled Tank

Fish are dying one by one. I have been doing regular water changes. Not sure if the use of APT fix (previously) is causing this. Some dead fishes seem inflamed. Not sure what to do next.

Need pictures of dead fish and live fish to check for diseases.

Basic first aid for fish.
Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Post results in numbers here.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. This removes the biofilm on the glass and the biofilm will contain lots of harmful bacteria, fungus, protozoans and various other microscopic life forms.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or until the problem is identified. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in. It also removes a lot of the gunk and this means any medication can work on treating the fish instead of being wasted killing the pathogens in the gunk.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens so any medication (if needed) will work more effectively on the fish.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Don't add anything to the tank until the problem is identified.

Need pictures of dead fish and live fish to check for diseases.

Basic first aid for fish.
Test the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH. Post results in numbers here.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. This removes the biofilm on the glass and the biofilm will contain lots of harmful bacteria, fungus, protozoans and various other microscopic life forms.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or until the problem is identified. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in. It also removes a lot of the gunk and this means any medication can work on treating the fish instead of being wasted killing the pathogens in the gunk.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens so any medication (if needed) will work more effectively on the fish.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Don't add anything to the tank until the problem is identified.
Will try cleaning the tank as you suggested. I will test the water and post results here. Now doing daily 20% water change. Not sure how well I will be able to clean the gravel as the tank is planted.

doing daily 20% water change
Why so little?
It's good that you haven't added the algaecide again.
I noticed that you use CO2 (requires a balance of higher light and nutrients) but the replies you had about the algae issues were appropriate to low tech tanks (no CO2, less light, less fertiliser). This advice may have caused plants to die back or reduce growth which could upset the balance. Can you explain you're current set up and maintenance and show a new tank photo?

Why so little?
It's good that you haven't added the algaecide again.
I noticed that you use CO2 (requires a balance of higher light and nutrients) but the replies you had about the algae issues were appropriate to low tech tanks (no CO2, less light, less fertiliser). This advice may have caused plants to die back or reduce growth which could upset the balance. Can you explain you're current set up and maintenance and show a new tank photo?
Yes, I have co2 injection in place. Using a sunson 303B canister filter. Neo Helios Light.
I only do water changes in 2 weeks previously. Now I do 20% water change daily. I used to dose fertilizer only when water change was done. Now I have stopped dosing the same. I used to have 8 hours light and co2 on. Now I have reduced the light and co2 duration to 4 hours due to algae issues. Posted some new photos

Attachments

• 20240925_080750.jpg
    20240925_080750.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240925_080709.jpg
    20240925_080709.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240925_080721.jpg
    20240925_080721.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240925_080706.jpg
    20240925_080706.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240925_080657.jpg
    20240925_080657.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240925_080652.jpg
    20240925_080652.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 8
OK, the plant growth isn't bad, only the one on the left has reduced in size.
My thought process was that a reduction in plants and growth had caused ammonia to build which killed the fish. Where plants are doing the majority of the filtering, beneficial bacteria are in low numbers and struggle to take over in time when plants die back.
If you could monitor and post test results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate it may eliminate this as an issue. Regardless, follow Colin's advice of 75% daily water changes for a week to reduce toxins or pathogens and save the fish.

For the algae, most members here just have low tech tanks (as high tech are tricky!) but I'm tagging @StevenF and @Wills who have a better understanding of balancing a planted CO2 tank. Hopefully they keep an eye on the forums and have time to advise.

While this comment wont help much.I never had such aquariums, but I participated at troubleshooting some.

High tech planted aquarium are like ballistic missile... Once launched ,You can only destroy them. They go to their destination no matter what.

Avoiding nutrients that build up, to build up... And those who depletes, to deplete, while gauging light as needed. are the sole controls you have.

In my experience, once the balance tilts in favor of algae (they should always be treated as invasive)... There's no plants getting out of there, they are going to turn them into food, when you have 3-4 different assailant, You cant keep the light up without you feeding them first. They are indeed extremely invasive and opportunistic on nutrients.

At this point honestly, With the cost of building such a tank.

I go: Removing, scrubbing, vacuuming, dipping, cutting, pruning. Whatever it takes to have lot more plants than algae at the end.

Biologically, the only way to tilt the balance in the other direction.

A tank can have an apocalyptic look for a while after that kind of intervention and survive, then thrive.

Fish are dying one by one. I have been doing regular water changes. Not sure if the use of APT fix (previously) is causing this. Some dead fishes seem inflamed. Not sure what to do next.

It is possible that dying algae in addition of creating ammonia released diverse products that could be toxic in enclosed environment.

In addition to water changes I would also run a bag of fresh carbon for a while.

I already ha e
OK, the plant growth isn't bad, only the one on the left has reduced in size.
My thought process was that a reduction in plants and growth had caused ammonia to build which killed the fish. Where plants are doing the majority of the filtering, beneficial bacteria are in low numbers and struggle to take over in time when plants die back.
If you could monitor and post test results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate it may eliminate this as an issue. Regardless, follow Colin's advice of 75% daily water changes for a week to reduce toxins or pathogens and save the fish.

For the algae, most members here just have low tech tanks (as high tech are tricky!) but I'm tagging @StevenF and @Wills who have a better understanding of balancing a planted CO2 tank. Hopefully they keep an eye on the forums and have time to advise.
I had posted Ammonia results before. There was no Ammonia in the tank. But the Nitrate was high. I will test again and get back.

I pruned off some plants today and did a 75% water change. I have a bristlenose plecco in the tank. It has developed a white spot on the top. Is this some sort of disease?
1000060942.jpg

Attachments

• 1000060943.jpg
    1000060943.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 4
The white mark on the bristlenose looks like excess mucous covering an abrasion (small wound). Monitor and post more pictures if it gets worse. In the mean time you can do the following to reduce the chance of infection getting into the wound.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in. It also removes a lot of the gunk and this means any medication can work on treating the fish instead of being wasted killing the pathogens in the gunk.

Most reactions

Back