Algae Eating Snails

scolby

Reaction score
I have a few Nassarius snails in my clean up crew but i dont have anything that eats algae. What are some good algae eating snails? Any other suggestions for things that eat algae would be appreciated also.

Hi

In my 40g i have 3 x Turbos; 2 x peppermint shrimps; 2 x Red legged Hermits and 2 x Blue legged Hermits as my cuc.

You could have 3 or 4 if you have plenty of algae growth. The turbos just work constantly :good: I wouldn't advise Blue Legged Hermits with your Nassarius snails though as the snails may end up as lunch :no:

Hi

In my 40g i have 3 x Turbos; 2 x peppermint shrimps; 2 x Red legged Hermits and 2 x Blue legged Hermits as my cuc.

You could have 3 or 4 if you have plenty of algae growth. The turbos just work constantly :good: I wouldn't advise Blue Legged Hermits with your Nassarius snails though as the snails may end up as lunch :no:

Good thing you said that, I've had blue legged hermits in with the snails for a while now. Haven't had any problems, but I'm going to trust you and put them in seperate tanks. If a blue legged hermit killed one and didnt eat it, do you think a Nassarius is big enought to nuke a tank?

nassarius aren't very big so you'd probably be fine if it went unnoticed.
I have never had a problem with hermits killing my snails either, although i provide them with a copious amount of shells.

I'd recommend a couple turbos as well. I have 2 mexican and a zebra for my 29G and they are the hardest workers you'll ever see. Non-stop day and night. Mine frequent the glass quite often, but go around on the rock too.

Other than snails, I'd recommend emerald crabs to anyone. Mine would sit all day literally ripping hair and bubble algae off the rocks and eating it. I would only get a 2 or 3 of those however, because they can be territorial to each other and i've seen mine push each other around.

Hi

It was just i didn't know what a nassarius looked like, so i googled it. The first site i looked at said that they can be at risk from Blue legged hermits. I didn't want to be to blame for someone adding blues to their tank and them eating the nassarius. :good: I think i also read that they can be at risk from Emerald crabs to.

Blue legged hermits are well known for going after other crabs and snails if there is a lack of shells available. Some also go for them regardless :sad: It's best advice to cross reference your sites when researching livestock Bronzecat, as the internet is un-vetted. Anyone can post anything... If you get say 3 people telling you the same thing, it's probibly correct, but otherwise, take it with a pinch of salt :good:

hermits have only become a problem in my tank when a bigger shell is needed. I had 2 nice ceriths that quickly became hermit food.

The following day the 2 largest hermits (tito and jermaine) were sporting lovely new cerith shells.

I now have a selection of shells available on the sand bed. just in case. (search for them on ebay they are pretty cheap.)

Blue legged hermits are well known for going after other crabs and snails if there is a lack of shells available. Some also go for them regardless :sad: It's best advice to cross reference your sites when researching livestock Bronzecat, as the internet is un-vetted. Anyone can post anything... If you get say 3 people telling you the same thing, it's probibly correct, but otherwise, take it with a pinch of salt :good:

It also says it in a couple of books i have :good: And I do believe I was advised about Blue legged hermits on one of my threads on this forum, so i had based my reply on all those things :nod: Better to let people know about possible conflict, then they can make the decision themselves, or do some research and make their decision based on their findings.

P.s. Just checked my thread, and it was you that gave my the advise about the Hermits :good:

Alright ill try adding plenty of shells of various sizes and see how it goes. I lost my zebra hermits a while back, i wonder if that was at the fault of some blue legged hermits?

Its possible. I wouldn't recommend putting more than one type of hermit in the same tank, never had good results. Though it was oddly enough a peppermint shrimp who ate my zebras (thats a rarity).

Still hope you think about those emerald crabs ;)

I'm so done with hermit crabs. Even with extra shells the little SOB's just killed each other for fun in my tank. I let them have their genocide and now only have one reclusive redleg left. He gets to stay, but I'm not adding anymore prey for him...

I lost my zebra hermits a while back, i wonder if that was at the fault of some blue legged hermits?

Hmm...unless there was a massive size difference, it would usually be the other way around if the zebras are Calcinus seurati. C. seurati has a pretty large strength advantage over similarly sized and smaller Clibanarius tricolor. Zebra hermits will also go after each other though - they need a pretty large space to themselves to be happy.

I'm so done with hermit crabs. Even with extra shells the little SOB's just killed each other for fun in my tank. I let them have their genocide and now only have one reclusive redleg left. He gets to stay, but I'm not adding anymore prey for him...

Redleg = Paguristes cadenati? I've never kept P. cadenati myself, so I'm not all that familiar with the querks of the species. I'm curious, which species lost the crab war?

My 8 Red Legs (Only see 3-4 on a regular basis mind...) and 2 Common Hermits are all getting along fine :good:

Most reactions

Back