Algae Eating Fish

jorge4903

Reaction score
Hey guys. Just wondering wich type of algae eater would be best for a 12 gallon tank and at what point should one be added? I have not set up yet but wanted to get a heads up now. Thanks for any responses.

I would probably go for a few flying foxes because most plecos get much larger then most people can handle. Personally I keep an adult flying fox and a chinese algea eater. They both max out between 5 and 6 inches and I keep an adult of each in a 55 gallon. I would also consider trying snails depending on if your tank is planted or not.

One of the best algae eating fish (especially for a small tank) would be the otto catfish. It has little waste, unlike a pleco, and you would really only need one or two.

You should get algae eating fish only AFTER you see algae develop. The fish will starve without it. Well, no, there is another way but you have to buy sinking algae pellets. They work the same and the fish eat them it's just extra money though.

Shrimp are a possibility (eg. amano/cherry) As well as true SAEs, Flying Foxes, and Ottos, however Ottos should be in triplets.

i believe that 1 flying fox or even true SAE moreover a few would be too large for a 12g aquarium. Once flying foxes are older, they discontinue eating algae and may become hostile and aggressive towards other fish. The best algae eater for that size would have to be the otto cats. Get a few of them and they should best be placed in a well established tank.

P.S. flying foxes and true SAE are good black brush algae and hair algae eaters but for a 12g, its best to stick with shrimps if you encounter BBA or hair algae in the future.

An algae eater is completely unnessecary, especially in a small tank where the extra bioload will contribute to the problem, if it occurs.

I have a gallan tank and I also have a problem with algae. I was thinking of buying 2 ottos. Is there any other way of geting rid of algae??

Well, you could also use an algae scraper for the glass sides of the tank but this can sometimes stress out fish (if used to often). It also depends on what's in the tank. If it's just plants or a small community fish try an algae eating shrimp. That's about all you can do for a tank that's only gallon.

id steele with a chinese algae eater, everyone seems to find these violent my one appears to be very calm and even protect the baby guppies
wich is cute :)

Most reactions

Back