Algae Eater

sic0198

Fish Herder
Reaction score
There is an algae eater that get huge, does anyone know what it is? Can anyone gimme a link. Sorry I can't be more descriptive.

He looks airplane shaped with black and gray spots.

I asked on here about that very advert the other day, when someone said that a pic was a CAE and got massive.

Several respected and experienced members, said that there was no such fish as a dwarf Algae Eater and that it was just a sales ploy. I couldn't tell you if they were right, just that I trust their opinion.

When I said 'Very' I meant very common, P@H have them although they label them just 'Algae Eater' They are £1-£2 something like that. This is why I said 'cheap'. If you read the description in the Fish Index you will see that when they get older they will develop a taste for fishes body slime and eyeballs.

I've never had one and am not likely to get one so I do not speak from experience, just what I've read when researching before I buy for my own tank.

ye, that link is a CAE, just given another name. These are also known as algae eaters in pets at home. is that the one you were talking about?

greg

I asked on here about that very advert the other day, when someone said that a pic was a CAE and got massive.

Several respected and experienced members, said that there was no such fish as a dwarf Algae Eater and that it was just a sales ploy. I couldn't tell you if they were right, just that I trust their opinion.

When I said 'Very' I meant very common, P@H have them although they label them just 'Algae Eater' They are £1-£2 something like that. This is why I said 'cheap'. If you read the description in the Fish Index you will see that when they get older they will develop a taste for fishes body slime and eyeballs.

I've never had one and am not likely to get one so I do not speak from experience, just what I've read when researching before I buy for my own tank.

I agree with those that said it's a sales ploy. There's no such thing as a dwarf algae eater that I'm aware of except for the CAE, as it's sometimes called.

The bad thing about it is some unknowing people buy these things thinking they will stay small and be a good algae eater in their community tanks. What ends up happening is they get too large and stop eating algae when mature and will kill their fish.

No that's not it, maybe it's just a fish that also eats algae. I will take a pic of it tomorrow and get you guys to ID it for me.

Heres the story, I needed a small algae eater for my 10 gallon tank. So I asked the dude at petland to get me one. I saw a baby one and I pointed to it and asked him to get it for me. Well, I went to look at convicts and things, came back and for some reason he wis getting my algae eater from another tank, I just shrugged off and thought they must have two tanks with 'em in it. The one it thought I had was an Otto, but when I went to put it in my 10 gal I noticed it def. wasn't an Otto.

I've seen huge algae eaters at other lfses, and this looked like those huge ones. I saw one when it did the sucker thing on the glass of the aquarium I heard it thump.

If I have to I'll put it in the bigger tank, 'cause I wanted one of these.

Are you thinking of the "Common pleco"?
pleco1.JPG

These guys WILL get HUGE (over a foot, easy), so a 10 gallon won't last you too, too long.

Most reactions

Back