Algae eater, fry friendly?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kniesh

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi, could anyone suggest an algae eater that will not eat my guppy fry or harm my guppies. I have a 2ft tank in need of an algae eater that is used for guppies only, thx.

kniesh said:
Hi, could anyone suggest an algae eater that will not eat my guppy fry or harm my guppies. I have a 2ft tank in need of an algae eater that is used for guppies only, thx.
[snapback]893722[/snapback]​
What ever u get dont get a chinese algea eater those chase cichlids even.My suggestion is otos but i am not sure hope u get someone to help u more

Kajuki17 said:
kniesh said:
What ever u get dont get a chinese algea eater those chase cichlids even.My suggestion is otos but i am not sure hope u get someone to help u more
[snapback]894233[/snapback]​

Once while in a LFS I witnessed a Chinese Algae Eater chashing Gouramis and biting them, when I told the guy working behind the counter(his parents owned the shop), he looked at me like I was stupid.
Next time I went in there I told his mum instead, she got the net out and put the little sh*t of a fish in another tank, the gouramis had red bite marks all over them. :(

Would Bristlenoses eat eggs you think? I'm thinking of spawning my Cories in my eventual BN tank.

kniesh said:
If the tank is heavily planted and still has algae problems, I'd suggest you don't need an algae eater. Rather, you might want to treat the disease and not the symptom... find a solution that allows your plants to outcompete the algae like they should. Post in the Planted Tank forum; knowledgable folks there. They're sure to be helpful.

If you really just want a fry-safe algae eater, go for a trio of otos. They're small and cute and pretty much leave everything but algae alone.

It's not really planted at all, I have plenty of pebbles for hiding young, plus java moss which is excellent for hiding babies. I do have 2 moss balls aswell, i thought these would out compete the algae.

kniesh said:
It's not really planted at all, I have plenty of pebbles for hiding young, plus java moss which is excellent for hiding babies. I do have 2 moss balls aswell, i thought these would out compete the algae.
[snapback]894641[/snapback]​
Don't know where I got the planted idea from. Too many threads on the brain, I guess!

You might try a floating plant like duckweed to suck up nutrients. Or a fast growing, lowlight plant like Hygrophilia polysperma. Both will grow with minimal work on your part and do a good job keeping the algae down.

I'll still stick by the otos suggestion as well though... :)

yeah thx, gonna go an buy a few Ottos if I can find them, are these to be kept in min of 3s ?

Hi, would a small common plec be okay to put in my baby tank? I know its not a long term solution, and he will be re housed when needs be, but that is all i can get my hands on right now. thx.

They're about 2 an a half inches.

I wouldn't realy put the common plec in the fry tank as at that size he is growing his fastest and is very prone to getting stunted growth; on the oto note, if your lfs gets any in stock try not to buy them straight away but instead leave them for a week or 2 as it appears oto's are most prone to sudden death syndrome when they have just been shipped into a lfs or transported from a big distance as they don't seem to cope well with travelling for long periods of time and any that are still alive after the first week of been the lfs will be much hardier :) .

Most reactions

Back