Algae eater and Cichlids

new fish lover

Reaction score
I am thinking about convicts if not definetly some type of Cichlid. I am a beginner to the Cichlid world. And just started my 1st tank about 2 months ago. This is a new tank (55 gal). What type of Algae Eater would get along with Cichlids.
Not sure if Pleco is what I want or maybe Chinese Algae Eater/Bushy Nose Pleco???

Please let me know your thoughts..Thx !!!

i have a common pleco in with my fish and he does fine. common plecos are armored like tanks. however, they get huge, like over a foot long. im not sure if he'd be too big for you tank ill have to look it up.

you are going to want some type of pleco in there as cichlids espically when breeding are wicked mean. the reason being that even though they get nipped they are armored enough that it don't really bother them where as a CAE would be torn to shreds in a heartbeat.

Don't get a CAE, apparently they are really problematic later on.

I have a gibby in one tank with breeding Sajicas (similar to convicts) and he has had a nipped fin every now and then, but nothing else. I also have a bristlenose in with a Severum and 2 Rainbow Cichlids with no problems.
Go with the bristlenose as they are better at eating algae, and don't get as big.

i bought a CAE years ago,
but it isnt caused me any problems. find out its favourtie spot in the tank and build caves and dig underneath ornaments for him to go to, i did that and you get the occasional scwabble but that is because its a small overcorwded tank,
i have 2 rams in there and they dont bother the CAE and vice versa

probable get a pleco and some otocincus' later on when its matured

Tednol said:
i bought a CAE years ago,
but it isnt caused me any problems. find out its favourtie spot in the tank and build caves and dig underneath ornaments for him to go to, i did that and you get the occasional scwabble but that is because its a small overcorwded tank,
i have 2 rams in there and they dont bother the CAE and vice versa

probable get a pleco and some otocincus' later on when its matured
Ya don't they get really big and aggressive and lazy though?

yeh,
mine was very lazy. but in the last month he has been out an about and sucking on the gravel, al happened after i put a piece of cucumber in there.lol.
mine 10cm at the mo,
i do wish i never got him but he's not all bad.
i would of gotten otos, i have some in my other tank and they never stop and the stay small

Most reactions

Back