Algae Control In Apisto Breeder

xingumike

Got beer?
Reaction score
Hey everybody. I have just moved a male/femle Apistogramma agasizii pair into a 18x12x12 breeder tank as my main tank is too 'busy' for them to carry on with there spawning behaviour and i want to try and raise the fry.

This is my first exp. with breeding cichlids (im a pleco man by trade) and i wondered if anybody knew if the presence of a small pleco to help keep the algae under control will interrupt their natural behaviour? Or whether any recently laid eggs may become a snack for them?

The two contenders at the moment are a juvi (less than one inch) ancistrus sp.3 (common bn) or an older LDA25 (pitbull pleco) although i have my doubts as to the effectiveness of the pitbull when it comes to clearing algae.

The cave the female is occupying does have an opening that is big enought for the bn to get in as its so young, assuming she will let it in of course which is doubtful after seeing the way she defended it in the main tank.

Other possible options would be an oto or 3 i guess..

your thoughts please! :good:

Hi there,

From my own experience, forget the plecs. It seems that although the female apisto can build sand up to minimise the entrance to the breeding cave, a determined plec will just barge its way through in search of a tasty snack.

I've used oto's in the past without problems, and if you're after something a bit bigger you could look at the whiptails (Rhinoloricaria) which again I had in with my breeder apisto's without problems.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew.

I have Rineloricaria hasemanni in the main tank and it didnt even cross my mind to use that!!

If i can draw on your exp. a little more please, i have bought Liquifry (for egg layers) and frozen cyclops that in intend to try and raise the fry with are these ok, or can you suggest anything else more suitable?

Thanks again

Hi Mike,

My main staple for baby apisto's is fresh bbs (baby brine shrimp) which I think is a must (also use it with the adults). I've never used the liquifry products, but I'm sure they'll work. The frozen cyclops is just that bit bigger than bbs, and I would aim to use that in the tanks once the fry are a couple of weeks old.

Apisto eggs will stay eggs for abour 48 hours, then you have 3 to 4 days at wiggler stage. So free swimming at about 5 to 6 days, and this should be the first time you add any 'baby' foods. This is probably the advantage of using bbs with the adults as well, it goes in the tank everyday and I don't have to worry about just when exactly I should start feeding the fry as the food is already there!!

One thing to bear in mind, Apisto's are from the geophagine 'eartheater' family, so any feeding strategy (both adult and juvenile) should be aimed at getting the food down onto the substrate, the fish will then quite happily spend all day sifting the sand for food.

Andrew

Fantastic, exactly what i was looking for.... I have never used live foods before, was amazed how small the cyclops was when i tried some in the mian tank, bbs must be miniscule!! But then would make sense trying to feed the eye's with a tail (how my mates caucatoides fry looked!)

I have a pippette that i was going to use for target feeding, i can use this to ensure that they got some on the substrate to root around for.

Do you grow the bbs yourself or purchase?

thanks for the info, you may get bored with these questions, lol plecs i can do, cichlids are all new!

Hi Mike,

I was into plecs a few years back, but with setting up the fish house moved over to fish that don't hide behind the log!!!! (I did have nice group of 6 x L264 (Josemali/Sultan plecs) but have to admit to still holding L260/Queen Arabesque as a firm favourite).

I grow the bbs myself (follow the link to my website, I sell the artemia cysts you would need!!), very easy to do. All you need is an air pump, air line, a wide neck bottle and some table salt. Within 36 hours you then have a never ending supply of food!!.

Email me through the buttons here or my website and I can send full instructions.

Andrew

Hi Mike,

I was into plecs a few years back, but with setting up the fish house moved over to fish that don't hide behind the log!!!! (I did have nice group of 6 x L264 (Josemali/Sultan plecs) but have to admit to still holding L260/Queen Arabesque as a firm favourite).

I grow the bbs myself (follow the link to my website, I sell the artemia cysts you would need!!), very easy to do. All you need is an air pump, air line, a wide neck bottle and some table salt. Within 36 hours you then have a never ending supply of food!!.

Email me through the buttons here or my website and I can send full instructions.

Andrew

:good: Gracias.. i shall look at that now

i think the best thing to do would be to add some plants to you tank.they would help keep the algae down and help with water quality. cabomba is a fast grower that likes soft acidic water and quite high temps

If you have an external filter on that tank then phosphate and nitrate remover would help. Maybe add a couple nerite snails in there. Theyre good algae eaters, but are a little slow. Their shell covers their foot and so would have protection against angry apistos. (make sure they dont flip over because they wont be able to get back up and will die)

Good luck.

Most reactions

Back