Algae Cleaning Help

snottycat

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Any advice on cleaning algae off my tank? My dad suggested a magnet but I am worried about scratching the glass - can you get anything like a sponge on a stick?

Had my tank set up for about 6 weeks and all is going well so far just starting to get some algae on the glass that looks horrible!

ta in advance :)

The magnets aren't too bad but I prefer to clean with an algae pad. You can get long handled algae cleaners that usually retail at around £5.

I just use a clean sponge and shove my arm in the tank, then wipe away :)

I just use a clean sponge and shove my arm in the tank, then wipe away :)

I am trying my best not to get involved with tank water at the moment as I am pregnant (not sure if it will do any harm but best not to risk it eh?) as I am sure your method would be the quickest and easiest!

Been on ebay and looking at magnets and what looks like a long washing up sponge! Can't decide yet...

You can get floating magnets and stick a soft sponge on the one that goes inside the tank. Then it will be less likely to scratch the glass should any gravel get under it. And because they float you don't have to go fishing if they come apart and go off into the tank.

Algae scrapers are also available and are simply a stick with a sponge on. Some have a razor or sharp plastic edge you can use for scraping the glass down.

You shouldn't catch anything from the tank unless you have open sores or cuts on your hands & arms.

You can use a magnetic cleaner that has a rough looking surface but is not likely to scratch glass. There are also magnetic cleaners made for acrylic tanks that have a felt-like cleaning surface. You can also get a stick with a cloth on the end for tank glass cleaning. I just got a very nice cleaner that requires you to be quite careful using it. It has a very strong magnet that works great right through the half inch thick glass on my 120 gallon tank. I have not tried it on the smaller tanks because that magnet might be a bit of overkill on thin glass. I can easily understand your desire to keep your hands out of the tank's water. After all, nobody is testing that water to make sure it is safe for people, and a newborn or unborn child is often more vulnerable than an adult. I really don't worry about it because bacteria that try to infect me always die trying. My own lack of respect for many common bacteria does not mean that they are not a threat to some people though.

Algae magnets work great, and both magnets have a cloth like material(on the outside its nice and soft and on the inside its a bit more wirey to get the algae off)

must better than getting your hands in, risk getting water everywherre etc etc

i got a magnetic cleaner from "petsmart" £4.90, it has soft felt on both sides and does a wonderful job.

Pete

Get one of these,you wont need to come in contact with the water :)

Glass-Cleaner.jpg

should be about £4 or £5 from ur LFS

Well thanks for all your help and advice I have bought a sponge on a stick thing which has a soft sponge on one side and a rougher sponge on the other. For the front of the tank and the edges I have ordered a magnet from Ebay so hopefully that will come next week.

I am not paranoid about the water but just trying to be cautious during my first trimester!

Thanks again,
Debs

I had some green algae on my glass and black algae on some plants. Got a BN Pleco and hey presto it's all gone in a week. Might actually have to get him some food now...

Most reactions

Back