Albino Cory Fry Raising

drooke

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've had my shoal of 7 albino C. Aeneus for about 3 months now and they seem to be doing quite well having spawned about one every month. Last weekend they spawned again and I was at home to witness it for the first time and rescue the eggs. Alot of the eggs were on one amazon sword leaf and so I cut that from the plant and placed it in a plastic floating hatchery. There were several other spawnings throughout the day and I managed to rescue probably about 50 eggs in total.

I noticed on Thursday that I had several tiny translucent fry in the hatchery. This was great that they'd hatched and it shocked me just how small they were! I also noticed that some of the remaining eggs were fungus ridden and so I removed a load of them. I fed the fry with very finely crushed Tetra Prima granules that their parents get. he next day I checked again and this food was also covered in fungus and noticed more eggs had it and one or two of the fry seemed to have died and been covered in fungus. I decided to remove the remaining eggs last night and the dead fry and food to try and make it as clean as possible. I also drained the water and refilled through the vents in the side of the hatchery. Tonight there were several dead fry with fungus leaving about one or two alive I think. I cleaned up the dead and decided to let the remaining one or two fend for themselves in my community tank releasing into think plant growth.

So it didn't seem to go very well with this spawn. But I'd like to learn more and hopefully improve for next time. I'd be interested for people to share their experiences of successful rearing of fry.

Thanks.

do they start to act weird before they lay eggs?
can u tell when they are full of eggs

Hi beechey,

Both before and when they're spawning they do get very excitable and all race around the tank. Hard to tell if they're carrying eggs or not.

I think generally corys are capable of spawning every 2-3 weeks. Mine don't spawn this regularly but maybe they do carry eggs all the time and then choose when to spawn.

ok im just tying to breed some serbai at the min

Congrat's on getting the egg's to hatch ! I'll try and take it step by step what i do when i raise my cory fry . When you remove the egg's and place them in the hatchery make sure there is good airflow over the egg's without this you will notice more of them grow fungus . It normally take about 3-5 day's for the egg's to hatch . I normally don't feed them until they are about 2-3 day's old as they will live off the egg sack until then . When you do feed get some Liquifry for Egg Layers and feed them this 2-3 times a day for the first 3 or so day's . Try not to over feed as it can make your water a bit funky if you do over feed. Once you notice them moving a lot more and actually looking for food you can feed them on . Finely crushed flake or pellet's Crushed dried blood worm/Daphnia. Some live food will go down a treat aswell as long as it's small .Decapped BBS is a very nutrisious food to feed them on

Hope that helps :D

Hi drooke :)

When eggs get fungus it is usually because of one of two reasons. First, some of them might be infertile, and second they might have been damaged when they were moved.

Moving eggs successfully takes a little practice and you will improve with time. Notice how they are soft and sticky when first deposited. They will burst easily. Within a few hours they will firm up considerably and can be more easily rolled off and onto your finger for transfer. With a little more time they will get still harder but will lose their stickiness and it will be more difficult to get them to adhere to another surface.

Gentle water circulation around them is important. Add an airstone to the hatching container to provide this. A drop or two of Methylene blue might also help prevent fungus. Once the eggs have been hatched, it's a good idea to move the fry into a larger container which will enable you to more easily control the water quality. Clean water and lots of food are essential to raise cory fry.

The fry won't need feeding for a day or two while they absorb their yolk sacs, and afterward they will still be so small that they can only eat microscopic sized or liquid food. The method I have found best is to transfer them into a 2 1/2 gallon tank (or the eggs could be hatched there) and squeeze out some filter media into the water. The fry will appear covered and you might not see much of them for a week or so, but by then they will have grown considerably and will be able to eat microworms or finely powdered fry food.

I prefer this method to using LiquiFry since there is no risk of polluting the water with the filter mulm. Small daily water changes will be necessary too. This will keep the water quality good and remove uneaten food and the growth hormones the fry produce.

Here's what a 2 1/2 gallon fry tank will look like while the fry are covered in mulm.

Filtergunk.jpg

Thanks for sharing your experience! I have 2 Albino Cory's and about a month ago they were dashing madly up and down the tank in the morning and when I came home from work there were loads of eggs stuck the the glass and on the leaves. Unfortunatly before I had time to remove them that same evening to a hatchery they got munched! was very disappointed because I would love to raise some Cory fry. Will post again if I have better luck next time. Good luck for yours too :)

Most reactions

Back