Albino Cory Breathing Heavily

I have had this happen just before the female lays eggs, soon as she was done she was breathing normaly.
i haven't seen any signs of breeding behavior, so could the female cory be constipated? but if she was for the last 6 months, wouldn't she not be alive now?

The only other thing that i could say would cause heavy breathing is that they are nervous, if you have two lights on in the tank i would turn one of them off and maybe get a plant to float about on the surface, you don't have to get a floating plant as some plants are happy to float about the tank. Try a few things at a time, and watch what they are doing at the moment for an hour or so. You get to know what might be making them breath like that.

i know that both cories breathe rapidly when i turn on the tank lights in the morning (even though i've allowed 15 minutes for the room light so they can adjust to the brightness).

they would rapidly zoom around the tank floor until they enter the log or go underneath the slate terrace, where upon they'd stop because there's shade.

however, the breathing i'm seeing occurs all day long most likely, even when she's resting and not nervous.

Im completely stumped as to what could be the problem. I was going to say it could be from the tanks other inmates, but i see in your signature, that they are the only fish in the tank. Maybe get a few more? Might make her happier and breathe easier.

Think I might have the answer, I was talking about this to my girlfriend (who has kept fish long then I have). She says it sounds like they are depressed, and might need some company in the form of shoaling fish.

Most reactions

Back