air stone vs foam filter

kglazer

Reaction score
hello,
I was curious to what other hobbyist believe is best for added to my current setup. I have a 55 gallon tank with a hang on back filter that came with the kit. I was looking at adding either a sponge filter or air stone to help with water movement and better water conditions for my fish. I know the sponge filter helps with the filtration both mechanical and biological and makes oxygen bubbles as well and just the air stone makes bubbles and helps with water circulation. What are your thoughts?

I personally love the look of either, if you only have a hang on back filter maybe it’s more beneficial to go a little sponge filter, they are pretty cheap and I find they do a good job of storing some of that biological bacteria. But of course go with what you like :)

Filters involve water movement as well as filtration, and the two are very different aspects. Water movement affects fish, some need more current while others need as little as possible. As for filtration, any single filter suited to the tank size (and assuming the stocking is suited to the tank) is as good as it can get. More filters or larger filters do not improve filtration unless the initial filter was inadequate.

So the first question, what fish do you have in this tank? And are there live plants (this is another aspect of "filtration."

Filters involve water movement as well as filtration, and the two are very different aspects. Water movement affects fish, some need more current while others need as little as possible. As for filtration, any single filter suited to the tank size (and assuming the stocking is suited to the tank) is as good as it can get. More filters or larger filters do not improve filtration unless the initial filter was inadequate.

So the first question, what fish do you have in this tank? And are there live plants (this is another aspect of "filtration."
there are no live plants. the filter on there is a top fin silent stream 75. I have a good amount of stocking
2 bala sharks
4 angel fish
5 zebra danios
4 neon tetras
4 gold gouramis
2 blue gouramis
1 dwarf flame gourami

everything water wise is fine and in check. I do water changes bi weekly of 15 gallons and put prime in with the new water. however towards the end of the second week there is a good amount of algae and poop by the gravel and I need to clean it. I was trying to figure out if there's a way to help out with that by adding the sponge filter or air stone to keep the water moving to not let it settle(air stone) or such it up since the sponge filter sits at the bottom?

I think the bigger issue is you’re overstocked for a 55 gallon, particularly those bala sharks which each will grow to over a foot long. It will be recommended by folks more knowledgeable than me that you return some fish, for their well being. I’m not criticizing, heck I have 3 clown loaches going in a 75 gallon and I’ll have to take them to a local fish co-op eventually as they outgrow my tank.

I think the bigger issue is you’re overstocked for a 55 gallon, particularly those bala sharks which each will grow to over a foot long. It will be recommended by folks more knowledgeable than me that you return some fish, for their well being. I’m not criticizing, heck I have 3 clown loaches going in a 75 gallon and I’ll have to take them to a local fish co-op eventually as they outgrow my tank.
I plan on getting a bigger tank as they all grow. The biggest is about 3 inches right now. I plan on getting A 125 gallon when the time comes. But for the time being just trying to make it the best conditions for now

Last edited:
OK, I will help with the filter question first, and then offer some advice on serious pending issues.

The waste produced by the fish, the stuff you are siphoning out of the substrate, has the same effect on water quality with or without a filter. This is where many are misunderstanding what "filtration" does or means. The biological filtration occurs in the filter and also in the substrate, and this involves the processing of ammonia into nitrite into nitrate, which we then remove by water changes. But the solid crud remains, only getting pulled out with water changes that include a cleaning of the substrate. A sponge filter or airstone is not going to improve this at all. The best thing you can do is more water changes. Given the circumstances here, I would advise a W/C of 60-70% of the tank volume once each week.

Removing some of the fish now is another necessity, and here we come into issues unrelated to the original question.

The Bala Shark, species is Balantiocheilos melanopterus, is a shoaling fish which means it must have a group:
Peaceful for its size, but not a normal community fish. Other fish must be large enough not to be eaten, and able to tolerate this fish’s very active swimming. This is a shoaling species with a pronounced social structure within the group, and must be maintained in groups of at least five fish. Fewer will result in aggression to the point of death of subordinate fish, and/or aggression toward other species in the tank.​

I appreciate you may get a larger tank--but you my not. And in any case, the two fish alone now is causing them trouble. You cannot see this, until it is too late. I am sure you care about the long-term health of your fish, so you should rehome these ASAP.

Angelfish and gourami should never be housed together. To make matters worse, the blue and gold gourami are actually varieties of the same natural species, Trichopodus trichopterus, and this is one of if not the most aggressive and territorial of the small and medium-sized gourami species. I can promise you, this is not going to turn out well, unless you luck out and have all females, but even so, we have had members who had a lone female kill every other fish in the tank after a few months.

I cannot tell you what to do, but I and others can point out problems so you can decide better. I'd be happy to explain any aspect of this, just ask. I know you may think things are fine now...but believe me, this is not at all likely to last. If one of the angelfish is a male, or one of the gourami is a male, they will likely pair up with a female if present, and then...look out.

OK, I will help with the filter question first, and then offer some advice on serious pending issues.

The waste produced by the fish, the stuff you are siphoning out of the substrate, has the same effect on water quality with or without a filter. This is where many are misunderstanding what "filtration" does or means. The biological filtration occurs in the filter and also in the substrate, and this involves the processing of ammonia into nitrite into nitrate, which we then remove by water changes. But the solid crud remains, only getting pulled out with water changes that include a cleaning of the substrate. A sponge filter or airstone is not going to improve this at all. The best thing you can do is more water changes. Given the circumstances here, I would advise a W/C of 60-70% of the tank volume once each week.

Removing some of the fish now is another necessity, and here we come into issues unrelated to the original question.

The Bala Shark, species is Balantiocheilos melanopterus, is a shoaling fish which means it must have a group:
Peaceful for its size, but not a normal community fish. Other fish must be large enough not to be eaten, and able to tolerate this fish’s very active swimming. This is a shoaling species with a pronounced social structure within the group, and must be maintained in groups of at least five fish. Fewer will result in aggression to the point of death of subordinate fish, and/or aggression toward other species in the tank.​

I appreciate you may get a larger tank--but you my not. And in any case, the two fish alone now is causing them trouble. You cannot see this, until it is too late. I am sure you care about the long-term health of your fish, so you should rehome these ASAP.

Angelfish and gourami should never be housed together. To make matters worse, the blue and gold gourami are actually varieties of the same natural species, Trichopodus trichopterus, and this is one of if not the most aggressive and territorial of the small and medium-sized gourami species. I can promise you, this is not going to turn out well, unless you luck out and have all females, but even so, we have had members who had a lone female kill every other fish in the tank after a few months.

I cannot tell you what to do, but I and others can point out problems so you can decide better. I'd be happy to explain any aspect of this, just ask. I know you may think things are fine now...but believe me, this is not at all likely to last. If one of the angelfish is a male, or one of the gourami is a male, they will likely pair up with a female if present, and then...look out.
hmmm so adding either of those wouldn’t help with moving and cleaning the water. Is there anything else I can do besides changing the water more frequently? I really love the way my tank looks with all the fish and it looks complete and not empty

hmmm so adding either of those wouldn’t help with moving and cleaning the water. Is there anything else I can do besides changing the water more frequently? I really love the way my tank looks with all the fish and it looks complete and not empty
You can lead a horse to drink, but you can't make him water!

Most reactions

Back