Air stone in planted aquarium?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Deeznuts

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I’m considering getting a hillstream loach for my tropical tank.

I understand they require extra oxygen.

Can anyone advise how I go about using an air stone in a planted aquarium?

Should I dangle it on the side or?

I don’t think you’ll have any issues with a planted tank, unless you have floaters, and they will move away, with the surface currents from the stone…

In my Hillstream tank I use the air stone bars ( mine are 10 inch ) I like to put them horizontal along the bottom, to make a reverse waterfall of sort… and in my 55 gallon, I use 2-10” air bars, along the back of the tank… most all of the Hillstream’s love to hang out in the bubble waterfall… I actually burry mine just under the gravel, so it’s not visible from the tank, and set some 2 inch rocks on top of it, to hold it in place

Last edited:
One thing to watch out for is that Hillstream’s typically like the water cooler, than most tropical fish… if you have other regional fish, like Denison barbs, that like the water in the low 70’s F. they’ll be fine

Hello. I don't believe this fish requires anything particular, just the same requirement as any fish. Just remove and replace their tank water every few days to a week. I wouldn't let more than a week go by without changing out half their tank water. I don't subject any fish to a small tank. Get something in the 50 gallon range. I used to think 30 gallons was about right, but I'm now thinking 40 gallons is on the small side. Especially, if you're fairly new to the water keeping hobby. The water in small tanks takes a lot more work to maintain steady conditions than a larger one. But, keep in mind this is just one reporter's opinion. You're the boss!

Yea but if you are going to mess with an air stone you might as well as use a sponge filter ;)

I don’t necessarily believe that’s true… the Hillstream’s like rapidly flowing, highly oxygenated water… that’s not to say something better couldn’t be fabricated, but I’m not aware of a current sponge filter design, that I would use, specifically for Hillstream’s… I don’t think it gets much better than a linear air stone along the bottom of one of the sides… it could be argued how big, how long, etc… if there was a strip of sheet poret foam, layer over the top of the air stone, where you would draw filtered water, up the wall, it may be an improvement… I use Hang on Tank filters, for actual filtration, and additional water movement…they could be filled with foam… to function as a foam filter

But as far as habitat, it’s hard to beat the reverse waterfall created by a linear air stone along the bottom, of one of the sides or back, for Hillstream’s

Hello again. Back to the large frequent water change. If you change out enough water and often enough, the action of the new, treated tap water splashing into the tank will maintain a healthy oxygen level for the fish. There's no point in running an air stone, unless you really like to see the small bubbles the air stone makes.

There is another option, an internal power filter or small powerhead with or without a spray bar. A powerhead like an AquaClear 301 with a Quickfilter attachment would work well. They come with a bit of airline you can put on the powerhead to act as a venturi for more air bubbles. The Quickfilter will stop fish and gunk getting sucked into the powerhead.

The only issue with an airstone in planted tanks is if you add carbon dioxide (CO2) to the aquarium. An airstone will help drive out the excess CO2 quicker than a tank without aeration so the plants won't get as much benefit from the supplemental CO2. However, aeration does help keep oxygen and carbon dioxide levels much more stable, which is better for the fish and other aquatic organisms.

I don’t think you’ll have any issues with a planted tank, unless you have floaters, and they will move away, with the surface currents from the stone…

In my Hillstream tank I use the air stone bars ( mine are 10 inch ) I like to put them horizontal along the bottom, to make a reverse waterfall of sort… and in my 55 gallon, I use 2-10” air bars, along the back of the tank… most all of the Hillstream’s love to hang out in the bubble waterfall… I actually burry mine just under the gravel, so it’s not visible from the tank, and set some 2 inch rocks on top of it, to hold it in place

I have just seen these messages. For some odd reason, all the notifications went to my junk box!!

I like the idea of the the bars to crate upside down waterfall.

I have a pretty huge tank. Like 40 x 50 x 25 inch tank. 180 litres. I’m not sure what that is in gallons.

I am only getting an air pump solely because I read that hill streams require more oxygenated water.

For the size of my tank, one bristle nose and own nerite don’t seem to be doing much in terms of reducing algae 😅

I was concerned if I placed them on the soil, it would disperse everywhere. I wonder if it’s possible to suspend them some how like midway

One thing to watch out for is that Hillstream’s typically like the water cooler, than most tropical fish… if you have other regional fish, like Denison barbs, that like the water in the low 70’s F. they’ll be fine
When you say cooler, how much cooler? My tank is set at 25/26 depending on the outside temperature.

I keep reading mix reviews about whether they’re tropical or temperate fish.

Hello. I don't believe this fish requires anything particular, just the same requirement as any fish. Just remove and replace their tank water every few days to a week. I wouldn't let more than a week go by without changing out half their tank water. I don't subject any fish to a small tank. Get something in the 50 gallon range. I used to think 30 gallons was about right, but I'm now thinking 40 gallons is on the small side. Especially, if you're fairly new to the water keeping hobby. The water in small tanks takes a lot more work to maintain steady conditions than a larger one. But, keep in mind this is just one reporter's opinion. You're the boss!

I’ve kept koi for about 4 years now, so I’m not new to water game but in regards to tropical fish. Yeah, I’m fairly new but I’ve had tanks in the past but I was young and not very educated and of course, the internet didn’t exist without dial up!!! Aha. Finding information about fish keeping wasn’t easy back then. I have a 180 litre tank.

I read that they require high oxygenated water to match their natural habitat, I mean it’s in their name I guess. Hill streams tend to have fast flowing water.

There is another option, an internal power filter or small powerhead with or without a spray bar. A powerhead like an AquaClear 301 with a Quickfilter attachment would work well. They come with a bit of airline you can put on the powerhead to act as a venturi for more air bubbles. The Quickfilter will stop fish and gunk getting sucked into the powerhead.

The only issue with an airstone in planted tanks is if you add carbon dioxide (CO2) to the aquarium. An airstone will help drive out the excess CO2 quicker than a tank without aeration so the plants won't get as much benefit from the supplemental CO2. However, aeration does help keep oxygen and carbon dioxide levels much more stable, which is better for the fish and other aquatic organisms.
Mmm, I was going to upgrade the internal to an external filter and that comes with a spray bar.

Would this suffice instead of an air pump?

This aqua clear thing hangs on the back or side of the tank? I’ve never seen anything like that around my way.

Sorry for delay in response. All messages went to junk email.

An airstone does not oxygenate the water until the bubbles break the surface. A still surface has surface tension that restricts the ready exchange of gasses into and out of a tank. Surface agitation breaks that and roiling the surface is how the water is aerated.

The rising bubbles also creates water current going up along with the bubbles as they rise.

The benefit of doing this with a foam filter is that you not only get surface agitation but you also get a great home for the needed bacteria etc.

It is only in a planted tank where CO2 is being added that one may not want to use and airstone since minimizing surface agitation keeps the co2 in. the water. And even then it is only if one is doing a high tech planted tank with lots of light and plants which also need lots of CO2 and fertilizer.

But, the more current you put into a planted tank, the more the plants can get moved by it. The can tilt rather than being vertical.

An airstone does not oxygenate the water until the bubbles break the surface. A still surface has surface tension that restricts the ready exchange of gasses into and out of a tank. Surface agitation breaks that and roiling the surface is how the water is aerated.

The rising bubbles also creates water current going up along with the bubbles as they rise.

The benefit of doing this with a foam filter is that you not only get surface agitation but you also get a great home for the needed bacteria etc.

It is only in a planted tank where CO2 is being added that one may not want to use and airstone since minimizing surface agitation keeps the co2 in. the water. And even then it is only if one is doing a high tech planted tank with lots of light and plants which also need lots of CO2 and fertilizer.

But, the more current you put into a planted tank, the more the plants can get moved by it. The can tilt rather than being vertical.
Do you leave the air stone running continuously or intermittently?

Most reactions

Back