Air Pump Filter?

mhoppe.spink

Reaction score
I have an air pump for an air pump for a 60 gallon tank in my 15 gallon tank and have a volcanoe and two carbon filter attached to in for my under gravel filter. My question is how does this work? What is the carbon for? There does the stuff get filtered? Wouldn't the "stuff" just float back up? I was so confused that i added a hanging filter just to be save. How does this air system work?

I have an air pump for an air pump for a 60 gallon tank in my 15 gallon tank and have a volcanoe and two carbon filter attached to in for my under gravel filter. My question is how does this work? What is the carbon for? There does the stuff get filtered? Wouldn't the "stuff" just float back up? I was so confused that i added a hanging filter just to be save. How does this air system work?

I'm not sure what exactly you have, but they work by pumping air through the filter which essentially moves the water causing it to filter. I'd expect this method is much less efficient than a pumped filter as the water turnover is tiny and it doesn't really move water about much.

Carbon absorbs things and helps keep the water clear.

A filter is mainly to process ammonia and nitrite in to nitrate. Very little in terms of mechanical filtration will be performed by an air filter. I'd say go with the hanging filter

Yea, thats that the lady at the store told me too. there are two cylinders in the back corners that connect to two grates on the bottom under the gravel. The air runs through the carbon filter, attaced to the cylender, forces air through, and then floads back up. I think it makes some kind of current.

Ha, should have looked in google images first. This is basically my air setup:
http://newaquariuminformation.com/pictures/under-gravel-aquarium-filter.jpg

Yea, thats that the lady at the store told me too. there are two cylinders in the back corners that connect to two grates on the bottom under the gravel. The air runs through the carbon filter, attaced to the cylender, forces air through, and then floads back up. I think it makes some kind of current.

Ha, should have looked in google images first. This is basically my air setup:
http://newaquariuminformation.com/pictures/under-gravel-aquarium-filter.jpg

Ahh, you're talking about an under gravel filter. You can get cartridge air powered filters aswell.

That works by the bubbles moving up and kind of pulling water up with them. This will mean that water flows down through the gravel (where it is filtered and all the good bacteria is).

I don't know what kind of flow rate you get with that, but can you modify it so that you can put your canister powerhead onto the return water tube. That would get a better flow.

Not sure what the routine is with gravel vaccing on those filters. Obviously you have to get the crap up, but does vaccing remove the bacteria? I'm guessing not a lot of it...

"I don't know what kind of flow rate you get with that, but can you modify it so that you can put your canister powerhead onto the return water tube. That would get a better flow."

How is this done? I have a Tetra Whisper60.

That works by the bubbles moving up and kind of pulling water up with them. This will mean that water flows down through the gravel (where it is filtered and all the good bacteria is).
[/quote]

How is this done? I have a Tetra Whisper60.
[/quote]

I don't know, if it fits nicely on top, then some way of sealing it into the tube. If not then you'll have to get a bit creative.

However if the filter is rated for a 60 gallon aquarium and you have 1/4 that size, surely it would be ok. Is there a way of adjusting the airflow through the stone? Crank that up as high as it'll go and monitor your ammonia and nitrites daily

Most reactions

Back