air effects???

frankee

Reaction score
Having set up what looks to be a really nice aquarium, it is currently running on an internal power filter. Having visited a large aquatic store today I have now realised what is missing to complete the look is air bubbles!!!

I have seen on the market power filters that have attachments for air, or would I be better off buying an air pump. Thing is, I am trying to avoid another plug draining the electric hence the two in one idea of a power filter that does both. How limited am I with the power filters effects and are they any good?
Thanks for your time.

Air bubbles are for looks only. If you have a planted tank, avoid them, if its not planted then it's your choice. If the filter aggitates the surface, don't worry about bubbles.

Jon

Welcome to the forum :D

what does a air pump do to live plants?
I have both and would like to know if its harmfull or not to plants

I have an internal filter & have been told that I dont need an air stone but was thinking of using one as I think they look nice. I am going to have live plants so why should I avoid them?

:fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

Surface tension in a tank will block the free exchange of gasses between the air and the water. This would trap co2 in the tank and not permit O in to replace that used. Anything that breaks the tension, ie surface aggitation breaks the tension and permits the free exchange of gasses. Air bubbles from an air stone or the venturi on a power head or submerged output serve to aggitate the surface.

In some planted tanks the retention of co2 is desired and thus surface aggitation is avoided. This is true for well planted tanks which have over 2 wpg of lighting and manadatory when supplimental co2 is being added.

I run a fluval 204 and 2 power filters (1 aggitating)in my tank but no stone

Most reactions

Back