Aggressive zebra danio's

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ancient11

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
While I wanted 10 danio's, they only had four so i bought them and they were constantly fighting. I read that if they were too few then they would fight but if there was enough they would school and stop fighting. So I bought 12 more and they are still fighting like mad and they are picking on the other fish and not schooling at all.

I am open to any suggestion's that anyone has for if I can't solve this--- it's catch the fish and dump them in the toilet time. Well--i will freeze them first.

What fish are they picking on? What size tank? They require a lot of swimming space considering their size.

They are cool fish, but they are nippy especially with each other. In time, they will school better and their focus will mostly be on their school.

They will nip and torture slow moving fish with long fins.

You are right, the more zebra danios the better. But they will still be nippy.

It is normal for ZD to be aggressive. The more ZD you get, the less aggressive they will become.

I have a 60 gallon tank that is lightly stocked and heavily planted. The main targets are the 2 marigold variatus and the 3 Moscow Guppy's followed by the 4 platy's and 2 mollies. They leave the 2 Angel's and 2 swordtail's alone.

Mine were very nippy at first but they calmed down after a couple of months and when some of them pick on one Zb danio too much that one hides until it recovers but I have had no problems just let them settle in I have 6 and they do amazing and even breed every day.

Get more if you can

I already have 16 long finned Danio's and I do love it when they flash the fins, but I think I will hold off buying more for I have more of them than any other type. Besides I might have to freeze the ones I have and that is not a happy thought. I will give them another month.
I wish to thank everyone that replied to my plea for help.
thank you

Most reactions

Back