Aggressive Tetra

tracyd

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to fish keeping and have 2 silver tipped tetra, 2 lemon tetra and a small algae eater. The algae eater is fine and goes about his business. The four tetra will happily congregate at the back of the tank and not bother each other. If the Lemon tetra try to swim out to the front of the tank, they get chased away by one of the silver tips. This is obviously much worse when food's involved. Have only got a small tank (30 litre). Should we get more tetra, because they like to schoal, if so which type.

Yeh i had 5 Neons and 5 Silvertips in my tank some time ago. The Silvertips were fine with them around around a month but them they turned and started getting aggressive, i think they killed 3 of my Neons, so they had to go. now all is peaceful in my tank. you may want to get rid of the Silvertips and get more Lemons, Tetras shouldnt be kept in groups less than 5

The tanks to small for tetras they are shoaling fish and need room to move.
No I wouldn't add anymore fish.
Can you post your water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

The tanks to small for tetras they are shoaling fish and need room to move.
No I wouldn't add anymore fish.
Can you post your water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

I missed the 30L bit, Yeh the Tank is a bit on the small side

Just my 2p, but Neons are very active fish and, although small, need decent swimming space. I wouldn't keep them in less than a 2ft tank. With most fish, they prefer to be in groups of at least 5/6 (which is why most shops sell them in that quantity). Have you room for a larger tank?.

Most reactions

Back