Aggressive Rams or normal behaviour?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys, my brother recently got a pair of German blue rams in his community tank (40 gallon or so) but is worried about male behaviour. It seems to be chasing the female around constantly. Is this normal behaviour? What should he watch out for/ do?

Thanks in advance!

Note also he got them yesterday: I can’t remember if mine were aggressive at start so any experience would be much appreciated.

First, is the female female? They are difficult to sex sometimes, although every pet shop employee and new aquarist thinks they can do it. 2 males will hate each other.

Second, how is the tank set up? If they are a pair, they will need cover. You need to arrange plants, rocks and wood to have broken sightlines, so they can keep out of each others' line of vision.

Third, even a pair may not get along. Usually, to get a pair that works, you buy at least 6. That's expensive, and you need a second tank for the ones outside the pairing, or a very large tank.

First, is the female female? They are difficult to sex sometimes, although every pet shop employee and new aquarist thinks they can do it. 2 males will hate each other.

Second, how is the tank set up? If they are a pair, they will need cover. You need to arrange plants, rocks and wood to have broken sightlines, so they can keep out of each others' line of vision.

Third, even a pair may not get along. Usually, to get a pair that works, you buy at least 6. That's expensive, and you need a second tank for the ones outside the pairing, or a very large tank.
I’m fairly sure they are a pair- I’ve checked here’s photo also. Tanks got lots of caves etc etc, I’ve struggled with plants in the past but any suggestions? Watching the behaviour they seem much better now, but is the occasional chasing etc usual?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 36
Since they just arrived, they have to sort out rank. They are a territorial species, and they only like sharing when they are breeding. So it could just be the alpha establishing rank with the other. I hope so!

Since they just arrived, they have to sort out rank. They are a territorial species, and they only like sharing when they are breeding. So it could just be the alpha establishing rank with the other. I hope so!
I hope so too makes sense dominant male establishing itself ! Both eating well so hopefully

If the chased fish ends up sheltering in a top corner of the tank, then you have a serious issue. Fish that go up there have completely lost their place, and often waste away from stress.

I'd like to explain a bit about "pair" here for you, @Willbacon23 . What Gary was saying is that this species must select its mate from a group of fish. The male has to decide he likes the particular female, and she has to accept him. The fish need a group of their own, with obviusly mixed genders, for this to occur. If a "pair" does accept each other, we say they have bonded; whether or not this occurs depends upon the fish in the group. And even if a pair does bond, there is no guarantee it will last.

A video of the interaction would help, if that is possible. It is not always easy to be able to "read" interactive behaviours.

Most reactions

Back