Aggressive Boesmani Rainbowfish?

Le Sorcier

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Never had a problem before, but my largest male is becoming slightly more aggressive, especially with the smaller male.

I have the 2 Males mentioned, 1 Female, 1 Blue Rainbowfish and 1 Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish at the moment. (amongst my other fish).

Would the best course of action to add an extra 3 Female Boesmani to try to help calm him down? Or would that make things worse?

Thanks

hmm rainbows are not normally agressive, are any of those recently added?

the larger rainbow may just be displaying his dominance.
if it gets worse i would suggest seperating him from the main tank,if he causes too much trouble.

They've been in there over a year with no problems at all. They were both the same size originally but now one has grown larger. I would've expected him to bother the female more but its more the other male. He does chase them all a bit though.

They've been in there over a year with no problems at all. They were both the same size originally but now one has grown larger. I would've expected him to bother the female more but its more the other male. He does chase them all a bit though.
i think hes just being a brute mate
are you concerned enough to take him out?

Squabbling is normal for rainbows. He's just showing his dominance and as long as he doesn't injure the other fish or the other fish hides constantly I wouldn't worry about it too much.

It does look like he's showing his dominance, that why I thought a few more females may calm him down a bit, or spread out his aggression?

What size tank do you have Becuse if it is under 36 inches it might be to small for rainbows and I do agree with others saying he is showing he's dominance as thats what happened with my loach ;) ;)

What size tank do you have Becuse if it is under 36 inches it might be to small for rainbows and I do agree with others saying he is showing he's dominance as thats what happened with my loach ;) ;)

Try 48 inches minimum length for the larger rainbowfish like Bosemani, Lake Katubu and Red. After seeing video clips last year, I abandonned the idea of these fish in my Rio240, as I felt they were far too active.

Hi,

The tank is 40 inches long. I have just added 3 more Boesmani (hopefully all females). All is well at the moment :)

Most reactions

Back