Age and size

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

MaggieD

Reaction score
How long does it take for fish to get to adult size?

I know it would vary as does lifespan, so I am interested in any fish or fish groups if that helps.

To be specific from birth to adult size......

Thanks
:D

the amount of time for a fish to grow from baby to adult depends on the type of fish. ie: an oscar will reach full size much quicker than a clown loach would.

Maggie, it might be easier to ask about specific fish - then members can tell you about their experience if they've kept them ;)

.....otherwise a detailed post might well fill the forum :/

:)

someone mention a detailed post to fill the forum? :rolleyes:

does depend on the type of fish that you are talking about. basically, coldwater fish grow slower than warmer or tropical fish. the warmer the water the faster the growth. if there is a specific fish that you are interested in or a specific need that you are trying to fill there are quite a few choices and those should be posted. size is important, but also water parameters, diet, and environmment should also be a factor when choosing fish.

semper fi

well first take the average life span of all the fish in the tank then the tank size and dived by the number of fish and plants (not including alge spores) watch them for a long time and time one of them to grow a millimeter times that time by the first number you had. right now you have what we call the jamnogs constant you can use this number to work out the persentage of the water coefficient. once you combine the youngs modulus of the fist fish by the bending second moment of aria of the last fish and the reluctance of the last but one fish then you can fine the capacitance of the fish life meter now build a whete stone bridge out of corel (dont put the corel in the tank) once you have done al this increse the number of tanks by 24% and then do it all again you will now know how long it takes the process can tak 6 months to six years depending on the fish sometimes longer sometimes shorter

Hahahahaha cool Jamnog No sense to me but sounds good.

I was just interested in fish in general none specific....but all would be good.....hmmm that is alot of fish....

I guess I find useless info interesting....useless meaning I may never buy a certain fish...therefore the length of time to adult size is useless to me.....???? but interesting none the less.....hehe :p

How about starting with my fish Rainbow shark, Golden panchax, Cherry barbs, and zebra danios......time to adult size and then could other people add their own experiences.....

I am particularly intereted in Oscars and Clown loaches.

And if anyone wants to add any of their experiences I will read them :)

Filling the forum is fun.....hehe I guess

Oscars.. hmmm.. i had mine since january and it was only young.. and now its 6 inches long.. they get pretty big fast.. and it depends on how you feed em.. i feed mine feeder goldies all the time..

maggie according to my calculations your fish would take about a year to reach their average size and about five years to reach their maximum size but the danios would at that time be at their mimum size being somewhere else. as for oscars you need a tank the size of misuri to keep em hope i spelled that right. misuri is about 55 gal right? well i was going to get some thinking i had got a big tank this forum stoped me tho im still thinking of making a big big tank.

Your panchax,cherry barbs and danios all have a lifespan of about three years four at tops the rainbow shark can live up to ten years.
Oscars grow quickly and can reach 16 inches within a couple of years,they should only be kept with fish that have similar growth rates and are capable of looking after them selves or they will soon become lunch.Clown loaches grow very slowly and and rarely reach their full potential size in normal aquaria,usually maxing out at about 6 inches.

Most reactions

Back