Afternoon

Liam Baker

Reaction score
Hi guys,
my name is liam.
I used to own a well established tropical tank before selling up.
After a few years break i am back! and starting another tank up i have purchased a 60 litre tank and i am buying bits as i go along....
i have my tank filter and also light unit i am just waiting on my heater arriving before i step out and start to stock my tank.
will i be ok to fill my tank and start to run my filter while waiting for my heater and water safe to arrive?
best regards and wishes,
Liam

Hi Liam, :good:
Personally, I would wait untill the heater and tap safe arrive.
As the water that you would be circulating in the tank is not the water that you would use for your fish, it is worth waiting and setting the tank up with filter, heater and tap safe, as it would be run normally. The bacteria would start to grow in an unheated/untreated enviroment which is the complete opposite of what you want. It would be best to set up the tank once everything you need, you've got so you can set it up properly the first time.
You might also want to look at the pages on cycling your tank ready for your fish, unless you know it already. :)

welcome to the forum!

I'll point you in the direction of the beginners section (even though you are returning to the hobby) and have a good read about 'cycling'. This is what is required to ensure you make the tank a safe environment for your fish before you start stocking them.

Many thanks for your reply.
I hope to have a well established tank within time which i can have mollies breading as i did before.
I will follow your advice and wait for my heater and tap safe.
Many thanks,
Liam

hey guys could you point me to the correct thread on water cycling so i can refresh my memory after been a way a while.
thanks,
Liam

here

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/277264-beginners-resource-center/

and then here

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=113861

Most reactions

Back