After A Small/cheap Tank For Starting Off!

Rob_B

Reaction score
Hi all!

Me & my partner fancy a little aquarium to keep just a few small fish in, we're looking for something quite small & obviously the cheaper the better!

We've seen this cheap starter kit http://www.aquatics-warehouse.co.uk/acatal...ARIUMS__28.html & wonder if its any good (for us of course, not you fanatics :hey: )

We also saw these http://www.petsolutions.com/Acrylic+Mini+B...-I-C-11-C-.aspx but can't find them in the UK, 5 gallon is plenty big enough for us!

Even this would do us! (the top ones) http://www.aquatics-direct.co.uk/productvi...sp?ID=346&type=

We love the look of the Biorbs but not sure if they're suitable for tropical use (+ price issues!)

Any help is really appreciated, we're based in the Uk.

Thanks!

Rob & Sarah

a 5 gallon would probably be your most viable option, anything smaller is only really suitable for a solo betta (siamese fighting fish) or snails, shrimp, etc and even then, you would need some kind of micro heater (usually expensive and unreliable) as a 25w standard heater would be too powerful.

a 5gallon with a 25w heater and a standard filter would probably suit your purpose. you could maybe get a small school of tetras or danios to start you off.

be sure that you and your partner know that you are taking on a responsibility. fish are no less than dogs or cats and if not given the correct care, they will certainly die. with that in mind you should check out fishless cycling. something that may seem a bit of a chore, but your fish will only last days in an uncycled tank.

good luck :)

theres a couple of problems with the first two tanks posted. the first has no heater , which limits you to hardly any fish choices < not including goldfish , who need 20gallons >. the second - , well , the link wont open for me. the third would be perfect for a betta ( siamese fighting fish ) but wouldnt fit too many other fish.

I agree with carrera, unless you want a single betta, there are no fish that will live their lives out happily in a tank under 5gals. If you want a variety of fish you will need to go for more gallons. Even so, bettas are beautiful fish (come in a variety of colors and shapes) and don't really requirement any special treatment as long as you keep their tank (which should be preferably 2gals+) and water clean on a regular basis, keep their water at the right temp, and feed them a suitable varied diet :nod: .
What sort of tank do you have in mind though?

If I may offer any advice, it is to go up one step in size. As Carrera said, with a tank under 5 gallons, you are really limited to a betta.
But even with a 5 gallon you can't do a lot. It is far too small for danios- people who keep danios in small tanks often end up with horrendous aggression problems (which feature frequently in the cyprinids forum). There are a few tiny species- pygmy corys, heterandria formosa, endlers, small tetras- that will work in a 5 gallon, but your choice is going to be limited. Also, a small tank is a much more sensitive eco-system and less forgiving of beginners' mistakes.
If this is your first tank, and you want something not too expensive but still easy to manage, I would look at about 60 ltrs (15 US gallons)- something like the Juwel Rekord 60. This is a very common tank, so you may well be able to pick it up secondhand (check out ebay and aquarist classified), it comes as a kit and is easy to set up and run. It will furnish enough room for a decent school of tetras and either a group of livebearers or a school of small bottom dwellers (like corys, khuulies loaches etc). You could even keep one of the small plecs (bristlenose, clown plec) in there. It is 60 cms long and 30 cms wide, so it's not exactly a desk tank, but it won't fill your living room either.
Anyway, I would not recommend less than 40 ltrs for a first tank- unless you want a betta.

can you stretch your budjet to a 10gallon, i would opt for a clear seal tank (about £18) 50watt heater (about £12) and a fluval 1/2 (not sure whether a fluval one is big enough for 10gallon) (£13-£20) oh and then iff required at a later date you can buy the hood (about £30)

then keep a small school of tetras/white clouds/danios and maybe 2/3 corydoras

remember that with a smaller tank water chemistry is harder to maintain for the beginner, but you could easily do a betta setup including the fish for £10-15

have fun, good luck :good:

I still feel danios should not go in a tank under 24 inches long, and preferably not under 36 inches. Why will people mention danios as if their requirements were similar to those of tetras? They are not, and anyone who follows the cyprinids posts over a period of time will be aware that lack of space is one of the chief causes that people have aggression problems with danios. 15 US gallons should be a minimum for danios.

At least here at my local LFSs, a 2.5 G, 5.5G, and 10G tanks are all about $10. A 15 G tank jumps up to about $30. So if inexpensive is a factor, I say go with a 10 gallon tank.

Karl

Hi,

I have a biOrb 60 tropical and I'd like to offer some advice;

DO NOT BUY ONE. Sorry for the shouting :blush:

They are trouble with a capital 'T'. Trust me. Don't do it.... I spend more time looking after that tank than any other. I have other tanks and look after various other friends tanks as well.

The cold-water biOrbs may well work as advertised, but avoid the tropicals (Yes, I know they look cool!)

DB

in a 5g tank there are more options than a betta.

there are more than this list aswel.

a betta
everglades pygmy sunfish
Scoloplax empousa
trio of killifish
a red claw crab
a dwarf puffer
Shrimp
snails
adf's
bumblebee goby
micro rasboras
pygmy cories
oil catfish
peacock gobies
white cheek gobies

yes a 10g would give you more options but 3 of my 5 tanks aren't even 5g and i've kept fish for a long time now and my little tanks are probably my favourites.

danio's i say need 20g or more.

:good:

Id say go for a 10gallon minimum. Gives you a lot more options in terms of fish and aquascaping. Although there are fish that can live in a 5 gal, like all the ones above, they will live much more happily in a bigger tank in larger schools. I'd highly recommend the tank in my sig. It was my first tank (Via Aqua VA380) and has a filter built into the hood. Its been a great little tank and you just need to buy a heater. It also has curved corners at the front that dont obscure the view. (No I don't own shares in the company :) )

This website sells them:

http://www.theaquariumshop.co.uk/aquariums-aqua-c-1_9.html

and Im sure ud find one on ebay cheaper.

Most reactions

Back