Africans in a 20/25 Gallon

FishNiX

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hey all-- im thinking of setting up a new tank... probably a 20/25 Eclipse type tank, it doesnt have to be eclipse, but i want acrylic at least... plus i live in an apartment that is rather small.

i really want african cichlids... a lelupi in particular... can i do it? could i do it if i only kept a few of them? i dont want to be one of those people that is like "oh, ill get a bigger tank later". and i definately want the fish to be happy...

what am i to do?!? :sad:

First.. acrylic why? esp if you have little cichlids digging.. scratch scratch...

Minimum 20 LONG not high. I don't think built in filters will do the trick for cichlids.

apartment... hmmm
This is what I would do... if you have enough... not too much coin but will work for a long time no upgrades:)

Iron stand
1 20 LONG with an over flow or 2 if dyi (fault proof then) (perhaps you know some one with a dremel?)
run that to a
1 20 LONG on the bottom.
1 maxijet (anysize) for return pump back up.
1 can filter (fluval if you don't have the coin, eheim pro or wet dry if you do). Put input from bottom tank exit to top tank. Hide can behind couch or in cabinet or under a pile of stinky socks... you are a batchlar right?

2 150 watt heaters (one is enough 2 if u want back up).
Thermometer.

Pick a couple of cichlids for the top tank. Plan on them living there forever... after a few months if you are happy with them get some fish for your bottom tank... or if you decided you really want to see them breed... get a mate.... or whatever..

This method will alow you to grow a tad without taking up more space. It also adds to the total water volume but not take away from surface area.

GL with whatever you do... oh
Electric Yellows are very fun cichlids.. they can be mixed with some community fish but will get their butt kicked by most other cichlids (course those fish can't go in with your under 55g tanks any how :) ).
Thats the only fish I can personally recomend, I know there are other great cichlids out there that I don't have experience with though :)

Leleupi can certainly be done in a 20 gallon.

It's best to start of with abou 4 juveniles and let a pair form naturally, this way you have a monogomous pair with a fairly strong bond. You will need to return the remaining two fish, or find a home for them, as there will be no room for the outcasts in a 20 gallon.

Next you will probably want some tankmates for them, or it will be quite an empty tank. A pair or trio of shelldwellers would be a nice addition - they don't share the same territory as the leleupi so fighting should be minimal. To get the m/f or m/2f ratio you will probably want to do a similar thing as the leleupi and purchase a couple of extras.

Then you can leave it or even buy a few hardy and fast dither fish, like zebra danios.

If you like this set up then you will want to go with a sand substrate for the best digging. Decorate one end of the tank with some good rock cover for the leleupi, and on the other half just scatter shells for the shell dwellers.

This type of tanganyikan setup tends to be a little understocked, so you don't have to worry to much about the whole cichlid messiness issue, and you won't need a million gph of filtration running either.

both of those ideas sound great... i was thinking that it may be a problem in such a small tank without plants to cover the equipment...so the first idea sounds really good as far as actual tanks... the only thing is ive never cut out an overflow or anything like that...but i do own a dremel!

i would definately want as little equipment in the tank as possible so it doesnt look messy... could i use a 10 gallon for the bottom tank? any other ideas would be great!!!

thanks everyone!!

A far as I'm concerned you need three things in the tak

- the intake to a simple hanging filter, like an Aquaclear
- the heater
- a thermometer

You can easily hide both heater and filter intake behind rocks and decoration.

The sump sounds like a lot of work for what could be a simple 20 gallon tank, but then I like to keep things pretty simple, and it could be a fun project for you, even if it isn't necessary.

maybe you're right about that... the sump would be fun, but perhaps a little bit of overkill... i was a little worried about keeping the filter intake and the heater behind the rocks b/c they might not cause enough motion in the water there... do you think that should be a concern?

thanks!

:D :) the sump is not a sump in this case it is another tank :)

You know one tank is not enough..... come on admit it :)

The same filteration can be run on the lower tank where it will certianly be out of the way... same with the heater :)

besides great place for the castaways.. The the cost increase of 2 tanks running off one filter is... neer nothing :) good filteration for one 20g is the same as one 40g..

One tank would avoid
1 light
1 drilled hole
1 tank
thats it IMO

Otherwise you can just think of it as a 40 gal with a divider with more surface area! :)

OK thats the end of my hard sell on my dream.
hehehe
have fun

haha, its a beautiful dream ;)

how do you feel about doing it with a 10G on the bottom?

also -- can you describe how the overflow thing would work? im kinda dumb... lol

10g sure it would work... but 2 20s would look nicer... In your place to make this work and look good you would still need room to hide the canister in... my tank is right next to a cabinet so thats NBD If you couldnt do that then one large HOB on the back of the lower tank would work fine.

An over flow is simply a spot for water to come out of the tank by gravity.

The 2 main types are a hole in the back of the tank upper corner.
or drilled right up from the bottom.
Most folks at home do the back because there is room to do it Stores often do it through the bottom... I assume that is to save room from putting 90degree joints in the back.
Most people use a box this box has slits in it and fills up then the water goes from there down the drain to the sump or lower tank or refugum. ALL ... ok.. almost all SW tanks use this method.
Advantages..

- great o2 mixing
- pulls off surface slime
- lets one expand!!!!
- makes gravity work for you for a change
- lets you put equipment out of the way
- lets you increase total volume and footspace and still showcase in upper tank

Disadvantage
hard to make not noisy

If you don't really wish to have the tanks connected I would still get the double tank stand. As you said you wont have room to grow..
But you should have a minimum of 2 tanks.. everyone needs a your grounded bad cichlid or poor sick cichlid tank for those hard times :)

Anyhow this is what I would do :)

Certianly there is nothing wrong with a 20L - wood stand, can under the stand, heater, light, thermometer and food :)

ok...so i got a little impatient and bought 1 20G... i also picked up an off-the-back filter, but i can always take that back if i decide i want to go the sump-ish route ;)

i actually have 2 other tanks, but probably not one for the cichlids...anyways, i also bought crushed coral sand, and a 150w submersible heater... im getting excited!!!!

do you all recommend some egg crate or something to support the rock work?

also...would white cloud mountain minnows be ok in the tank with the crushed coral to help the cycle? im going to put the filter pad in my community tank's filter for a while to grow some bacteria before i do anything. i guess the sand has a very high ph, so i didnt know if the minnows would tolerate it...perhaps i should ask that elsewhere ;)

thanks!

Egg crate is really not necessary. These tanks are built to handle the weight of rocks, I've never used them before, and I've used plenty of rocks. Just put the rocks on the bottom of the tank, not on the substrate, that way fish can't dig under them and cause them to collapse

cool -- i bought about 40lbs of rocks last night, but i doubt that i will use them all since the aquarium isnt that big ;)

most of it is slate, and one lava rock as well as a couple shells for the other end... i am a little concerned still about the strength of the glass...but i guess we'll see. it's only a $20 tank.

cheers!

Most reactions

Back