African Theme Setup

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

randymyr

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am planning on getting a nice 55gallon (minimum) tank, coming up this christmas
but before i get the tank, i'd like to think of some fish that could go into it!
I already have one tank set up with a south american theme, now looking to set up an african... Just my only problem, is i don't know that many freshwater fish from africa (besides cichlids) !
now one fish, that i'm getting for sure, is going to be a senegal bichir... or at least a bichir of some sort, now i'm looking, basically, for some help obtaining a list of some freshwater (non-cichlid) fish
All i can think of right now are...

-bichirs (of course)
-African Marbled catfish (along with other numerous other african catfish)
- Spotted climbing perch
- african butterfly fish
- Congo tetra

Now this is all i got off the top of my head... any others? (i know there are some :p)

sweet man, I'm getting a 62g over the holidays! and was think of an african biotope too
well probobly the best place to find out things about african fish and their habitat is mongabay
I was on there yesterday and found lists on fish in any river you can imagine thats in africa

you could try a sengal, some syno or upside down catfish, congo tetra, spotted climbing perch and abf

wow, that really helped me find some awesome fish
now i reeeeeeally want to get myself a "Trahira", what a cooooool looking fish! :|

african knifefish maybe? not sure if the tank would be big enough though?

lmao
checking all over for some african fish that'd be good for the tank, but there's pretty much nothing (in the pet trade anyways)

well since I may be setting up a african tank I am thinking we have the options of
elephant nose fish
ropefish
bichirs
climbing perch
synos
spiny eels
congo tetras
kribs
buffaloheads
glass catfish
tilapia
african butterfly fish
lyre tail killiefish
african knifefish
baby whale

Well, for myself, i'm getting a bichir for sure
and i was thinking of getting a congo climbing perch... looks SO cool! If not, checking with my friend to see about spotted, he has some of his own.
Congo tetras are a maybe, but i'm not a huge fan of tetras unless i get a bunch of different species.
i don't really want any cichlids, but by the looks of it, it's gonna be our best option :|
and killifish... though some VERY nice ones, that i'd like to get, never seen any at a lfs around here...
same with the spiny eels (though i did see one a few months back) and any knifefish (except for black ghosts)

for mine, i'm thinking...
1-2 bichirs
3-4, maybe 5 spotted climbing perch (see about getting congo climbing perch!:eek:)
and 2-3 upsidedown catfish

African Dwarf frogs. <3

Well, I think they originate form Africa.. -underlines AFRICAN-

:) oh man, you guys are lucky. I get no new tank for christmas. **eyeing on a really nice 50g bowfront..

Lucky people. D:

African Dwarf frogs. <3

Well, I think they originate form Africa.. -underlines AFRICAN-

:) oh man, you guys are lucky. I get no new tank for christmas. **eyeing on a really nice 50g bowfront..

Lucky people. D:

Bowfronts, if they come with a stand and everything, are beautiful tanks...
And with the fish i'm getting, african dwarf frogs are actually a favorite food, and are recommended ! :p
Bichir < African Dwarf Frogs :p
gotta love nature...
plus, i had one... but i didn't know you were supposed to buy it special pellets... (i was like... 10) and, ofcorse, it died :(

special pellets..?

I dont feed mine special pellets. I feed mine bloodworms..

mine hates pellets.

Most reactions

Back