African dwarf frogs dangerous?

Perbud

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all...
Does anyone know if African dwarf frogs are dangerous to humans...I believe at one time they were ...are they still?

There are poisonous arrow/ dart frogs in South America and some poisonous toads, but I have never heard of African frogs being poisonous and certainly not the dwarf ones kept in aquariums.

Salmonella is unpleasant, but it is only very rarely a serious problem. No doubt the article emphasized the risk to children simply because they are more vulnerable to most illnesses than adults are. My kid got salmonella as a toddler from playing with chickens. Poor little guy had the runs for a few days.

Pretty much any kind of frog, and most amphibians and reptiles generally carry a small risk of salmonella. Just wash your hands with soap after handling them and you won't have any problems..

Did a quick google search and discovered you are right!

African dwarf frogs can harbor salmonella bacteria, and can be dangerous to children!

Here's the article:

Salmonella Bacteria is common among lots of food and reptiles. Chicken as well as frogs, turtles, etc. So its all about washing your hands, disinfecting surfaces, cooking properly, etc, etc, Which at this time in history all of us should be very familiar with.

Most reactions

Back