African dwarf frog

We’ve had a male and female pair of African dwarf frogs for 18 months now. They live in a planted 5 gallon tank with sand. They have a filter and temperature is maintain that 78°F. We feed them small amounts every other day. They certainly appear happy. Every month, the male mounts the female for about an hour. Apparently no copulation occurs. The female lays eggs and the male scatter his sperm over the eggs. It’s interesting that they adopt this copulatory behavior. They’re very cute and are on the small size even as adults . It takes them a few minutes to find the food that we offer. We’ve given them a variety of dried and frozen worms and brine shrimp. A treat would be a tiny bit of minced raw liver. They go bonkers over that. 20% water changes occur every Saturday.
🥰

I use API. Quick start at water changes. Would that product speed up cycling time?
Use Dr Tim's One & Only or Tetra Safe Start to speed up a fishless cycle. API Quick Start contains the wrong species of nitrite eaters.

Bottled bacteria only need to be used to start a cycle. Using it at every water change is a waste of money. The bacteria live in the biofilm attached to surfaces so water changes don't remove bacteria.

Use Dr Tim's One & Only or Tetra Safe Start to speed up a fishless cycle. API Quick Start contains the wrong species of nitrite eaters.

Bottled bacteria only need to be used to start a cycle. Using it at every water change is a waste of money. The bacteria live in the biofilm attached to surfaces so water changes don't remove bacteria.

Hi- I didn't know Quick Start had wrong kind of nitrite eaters. As with many products , the on the label encourage you to use their product a lot 🤷‍♀️
I know from having pet birds since 1990 and learning from veterinarians, some products are just not necessary.
Last night i found our Petco no longer sells African dwarf frogs. I also noticed that

a bottle of " betta water"- not even a quart(32ounces) cost around $7.00. Not sure how to convert f to your metric system, but that th like a crazy amount!
This forum is my go to knowledge source.
Thanks to all :)

Hi, yeah that's my froggy! And yes, my frogs are currently housed with six amano shrimp! Although I might relocate a couple shrimp to another tank if they outgrow the current one.

The frogs don't bother the shrimp much. Sometimes they will lunge after the shrimp, but I've never seen them actually get a bite. ADFs have relatively poor vision and so their aim is not very good. It's tricky sometimes to even feed them with tweezers, so there's no way they'd be able to accurately target a healthy adult shrimp. They're also slower than the shrimp by a long shot, and the shrimp are nearly the same size as the frogs, so there's no way they'd actually be able to be eaten.

It's possible the frogs could eat some shrimp juveniles, but I find it unlikely that tover hey'd make any serious impact on shrimp breeding efforts.
congrads to you and soup. In hindsight I should of entered mt adf's started with 4 and after they had babies I gave away over 70 and ended up with 12 now they are cute but the tads are pretty neat esp afyer a few weeks when their eyes look like they are glowing.btw mine love white worms....pretty easy to grow.....go luck

congrads to you and soup. In hindsight I should of entered mt adf's started with 4 and after they had babies I gave away over 70 and ended up with 12 now they are cute but the tads are pretty neat esp afyer a few weeks when their eyes look like they are glowing.btw mine love white worms....pretty easy to grow.....go luck
What type of tank conditions did you have to induce breeding? I have a male and female and they court all the time. But so far no offspring.

Most reactions

Back