African dwarf frog

finfayce

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi- after seeing the african dwarf frog as a contestant, they seem adorable. Can they go with freshwater shrimp?

Hi, yeah that's my froggy! And yes, my frogs are currently housed with six amano shrimp! Although I might relocate a couple shrimp to another tank if they outgrow the current one.

The frogs don't bother the shrimp much. Sometimes they will lunge after the shrimp, but I've never seen them actually get a bite. ADFs have relatively poor vision and so their aim is not very good. It's tricky sometimes to even feed them with tweezers, so there's no way they'd be able to accurately target a healthy adult shrimp. They're also slower than the shrimp by a long shot, and the shrimp are nearly the same size as the frogs, so there's no way they'd actually be able to be eaten.

It's possible the frogs could eat some shrimp juveniles, but I find it unlikely that they'd make any serious impact on shrimp breeding efforts.

Hi, yeah that's my froggy! And yes, my frogs are currently housed with six amano shrimp! Although I might relocate a couple shrimp to another tank if they outgrow the current one.

The frogs don't bother the shrimp much. Sometimes they will lunge after the shrimp, but I've never seen them actually get a bite. ADFs have relatively poor vision and so their aim is not very good. It's tricky sometimes to even feed them with tweezers, so there's no way they'd be able to accurately target a healthy adult shrimp. They're also slower than the shrimp by a long shot, and the shrimp are nearly the same size as the frogs, so there's no way they'd actually be able to be eaten.

It's possible the frogs could eat some shrimp juveniles, but I find it unlikely that they'd make any serious impact on shrimp breeding efforts.
Hi- i voted your frogs as contest winner!. I have a 10 gallon tank with 9 amano shrimp and 5 nerite snails. Too small to add a frog?
I have a 20 and a 30 gallon tanks. I didn't want to start over with a bigger tank. I have 9 birds and they are wonderful but a lot of work.

Hi- i voted your frogs as contest winner!. I have a 10 gallon tank with 9 amano shrimp and 5 nerite snails. Too small to add a frog?
I have a 20 and a 30 gallon tanks. I didn't want to start over with a bigger tank. I have 9 birds and they are wonderful but a lot of work.
I would say it's better to get more so a 10g may be too small. They're quite social little guys and prefer company of their own kind. I have 5 in a 30g along with some cories, they do really well in there. You could probably get away with 2 max in a 10g but would need to be really on top of water changes.

Please don't just get one. If you read up on them you'll see they are social animals that need the company of their own species.

Thanks for your help.if I were purchase a smaller tank just for the frog- rather then setting up
Please don't just get one. If you read up on them you'll see they are social animals that need the for company of their own species.
The afticsnf
Please don't just get one. If you read up on them you'll see they are social animals that need the company of their own ofSpeci

Thanks for your help.if I were purchase a smaller tank just for the frog- rather then setting up

The afticsnf
Ok
thank you. :) my python water cleaning system is not working again. i bought new part- still not behaving normally. Also age 74, my body can hardly walk. I get a test later today. Don't mean to whine but two small tanks are easier because i don't have to use stairs to clean tanks. Would a 5 gallons be big enough?
Also i read they like sand for substrate. What does the forum think about that?

Ok
thank you. :) my python water cleaning system is not working again. i bought new part- still not behaving normally. Also age 74, my body can hardly walk. I get a test later today. Don't mean to whine but two small tanks are easier because i don't have to use stairs to clean tanks. Would a 5 gallons be big enough?
I think this is where people differ, some people say 5g is OK for 2, I would say minimum 10g myself. But I also feel like 3 is the minimum I would want so then again I'd be aiming for 15/20g. Sand definitely for substrate as they aren't the smartest and can ingest gravel. They like hanging about in floating plants too if you can get some.

Edit - sorry I re-read this and think I've been a bit rigid in my views. I'll be honest when I got my first ADF's I kept them in a big glass bowl with no heater or filter, how they survived my terrible husbandry I will never know but once I got them into a tank they thrived and one lived for 7 years!

Last edited:
Ok
5gal is definitely the bare minimum, and bigger is always better. I have my two frogs in a 6gal which I recognize isn't ideal. My caveat, however, is that they're still young and haven't reached their adult sizes. Or maybe they have and they're just small adults. Either way, they're not as large as typical adult ADFs, which is why I'm more comfortable keeping them in a smaller tank. If they ever do get much larger, then I'll be considering upgrading them.

And yes, sand is a good choice for them. Fine sand, if you can get it. I use pool filter sand. Using no substrate at all is also an option, but doesn't always look the nicest.

I definitely agree with Ichthys. You should make sure to really read up on them before getting any. They're not terribly difficult animals to care for, but they have unique qualities and precautions you have to take. They're more sensitive than many fish and also require more effort to feed.

We’ve had a male and female pair of African dwarf frogs for 18 months now. They live in a planted 5 gallon tank with sand. They have a filter and temperature is maintain that 78°F. We feed them small amounts every other day. They certainly appear happy. Every month, the male mounts the female for about an hour. Apparently no copulation occurs. The female lays eggs and the male scatter his sperm over the eggs. It’s interesting that they adopt this copulatory behavior. They’re very cute and are on the small size even as adults . It takes them a few minutes to find the food that we offer. We’ve given them a variety of dried and frozen worms and brine shrimp. A treat would be a tiny bit of minced raw liver. They go bonkers over that. 20% water changes occur every Saturday.

We’ve had a male and female pair of African dwarf frogs for 18 months now. They live in a planted 5 gallon tank with sand. They have a filter and temperature is maintain that 78°F. We feed them small amounts every other day. They certainly appear happy. Every month, the male mounts the female for about an hour. Apparently no copulation occurs. The female lays eggs and the male scatter his sperm over the eggs. It’s interesting that they adopt this copulatory behavior. They’re very cute and are on the small size even as adults . It takes them a few minutes to find the food that we offer. We’ve given them a variety of dried and frozen worms and brine shrimp. A treat would be a tiny bit of minced raw liver. They go bonkers over that. 20% water changes occur every Saturday.
Thanks- that's so interesting. They sound adorable. I'll check Petco for small tanks How long to cycle a small tank? I use API. Quick start at water changes. Would that product speed up cycling time?

Thanks- that's so interesting. They sound adorable. I'll check Petco for small tanks How long to cycle a small tank? I use API. Quick start at water changes. Would that product speed up cycling time?
When I cycled the tank 20 months ago, I did not know about the addition of bottled bacteria. I used Dr. Tim’s ammonia solution and followed the protocol on the forum website. It took 4 to 5 weeks. Now i use tetra fresh start and it takes less time to cycle a tank.

When I cycled the tank 20 months ago, I did not know about the addition of bottled bacteria. I used Dr. Tim’s ammonia solution and followed the protocol on the forum website. It took 4 to 5 weeks. Now i use tetra fresh start and it takes less time to cycle a tank.
👍

😊

I think this is where people differ, some people say 5g is OK for 2, I would say minimum 10g myself. But I also feel like 3 is the minimum I would want so then again I'd be aiming for 15/20g. Sand definitely for substrate as they aren't the smartest and can ingest gravel. They like hanging about in floating plants too if you can get some.

Edit - sorry I re-read this and think I've been a bit rigid in my views. I'll be honest when I got my first ADF's I kept them in a big glass bowl with no heater or filter, how they survived my terrible husbandry I will never know but once I got them into a tank they thrived and one lived for 7 years!
Thanks- I appreciate your views. :)

Most reactions

Back