African Dwarf Frog Dead

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gix

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I just finished cycling a 10 gallon tank and have started off with five African dwarf frogs. I had planned to get around 10 when all was said and done. However, on only the second day of having the frogs, one is dying. When he first caught my eye he was on his back at the bottom of the tank, twitching periodically. His head and belly were very pink, especially on the underside. The water looks fine - nitrites and ammonia are at 0ppm and nitrates are at 20ppm.
There's only one thing I can think of that might have killed it. The frogs ate today for the first time, when I fed them some live brine shrimp (they already turned down a shrimp pellet which still sits at the tank's bottom). One of them ate a whole lot more than any of the others. I'm wondering if he overate? Or maybe he choked to death? If anyone knows, I'd love to be able to avoid this in the future.
Thanks for any help,
Michael

The frog may have just been sick when you got it, how are the the other ones doing? Do you have anything else in the tank? If there are not a lot of hidding places it may be stress related.

The other four are still acting normally, and are the only things in the tank. There are a few different places for them to hide, although most of the time they just float in some anacharis at the top of the tank. I'm not ruling out the possibility that this one was just sick when I got it; some of the frogs didn't look too great in the tank where I bought it.

Thats strange...the pinkish tint to their bellys and legs is a sign of a happy healthy frog! I would too think that he was stressed and or sick from the store, but also possible that he may have choked. Sorry couldnt give an answer but to avoid another choking, try feeding them bloodworms they love they, thing is if they are in a tank by themselves, they should be fine but if there are other fish in the tank they might steal the worms from them and would then have to hand feed, or what i do, use a turkey baster and they eat the worms out of that as i squeeze worms in front of them.

Most reactions

Back