African Clawed Frog Advice Please...

deb53cl

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Have just acquired 2 albino African clawed frogs.

They are absolutly gorgeous as you can see from the pics.

I would like some advice on the best food for them. They love the blood worm and shovel it in using their hands which is so fascinating to watch. I read about Reptomin but cannot get hold of it so bought yesterday some sinking pellets that are with brill and shrimp.
Can anyone advise what else to feed them on as I want only the best for them and also what else to avoid.

Actually any other advice in keeping them would be great.

They are at present in a 4ft tank with undergravel filter and heated to 78 degrees.

Thanks everyone

PICT0081.jpg

PICT0083.jpg

OOPS.............

..............Just read back.. What I meant to say was that they will not eat the pellets!!!!

Sorry

Hi Everyone

I would like some advice on the best food for them. They love the blood worm and shovel it in using their hands which is so fascinating to watch. I read about Reptomin but cannot get hold of it so bought yesterday some sinking pellets that are with brill and shrimp.
Can anyone advise what else to feed them on as I want only the best for them and also what else to avoid.

They are at present in a 4ft tank with undergravel filter and heated to 78 degrees.

Thanks everyone

PICT0081.jpg

PICT0083.jpg
You should lower the temperature to 70-75 degrees Farenheit. I feed my African Clawed Frogs a mixture of live pre-wing crickets and Hikari Sinking Carnivore food pellets. The Hikari is great because it doesn't cloud their water. You should never use gravel with African Clawed Frogs, they will accidentally swallow it when eating off the bottom of the aquarium. Shrimp pellets and bloodworms are a good treat, but not a main food.

Also, avoid feeding goldfish and minnows. They contain an enzyme that stops the frogs from absorbing vitamin B, and their spines can damage the frogs' internal organs.

Hi Everyone

Thanks everyone

PICT0081.jpg

PICT0083.jpg
You should lower the temperature to 70-75 degrees Farenheit. I feed my African Clawed Frogs a mixture of live pre-wing crickets and Hikari Sinking Carnivore food pellets. The Hikari is great because it doesn't cloud their water. You should never use gravel with African Clawed Frogs, they will accidentally swallow it when eating off the bottom of the aquarium. Shrimp pellets and bloodworms are a good treat, but not a main food.

Also, avoid feeding goldfish and minnows. They contain an enzyme that stops the frogs from absorbing vitamin B, and their spines can damage the frogs' internal organs.
Thankyou so much for the advice Frogluver.
One of the frogs "Nelson" died after a couple of days, "Willie" is fine but as you can see from the other post I posted I am having real trouble finding a staple food for him and getting him to eat it.

Earthworms and bloodworms were all that he would eat but finally got him to eat frozen daphnia and frozen shrimp.

Gosh its like having a fussy child ( thought those days were over) and I really worry bout his lack of eating although he does not look too thin.

Most reactions

Back