African Cichlids

southyorkslass

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi i am setting up an african cichlid tank and wanting to know what other fish are ok as tank mates for these fish the cichlids i have are rainbows,peacocks,livingstonii,grey shaki and yellow labs what else will be ok to share a tank with these plz reply asap ty

Africans are generally compatible with other africans, but once they grow larger the general rule is all goes to hell and they start slaughtering each other until there is one or two dominant ones left. Only exception is if you have a massive tank and can get LOTS of fish to diffuse the agression. That can be expensive though!

As for other fish that are not african, unless they are big or get big fast and are fast swimmers and can recognize when the africans are going to tag/bite them so as to manage an evade, they are going to perish rather fast. Naturally the non-africans generally are not used to the africans agility and are far outmatched.

When africans get bigger they don't slaughter each other until there only 1 or 2 left. That is not a general rule that they slaughter each other either. As far as other fish other than africans you can go with synodatis cats ( whitch are from the same lakes) a pleco ( if your tank is large enough to handle them) also something i've had good luck with and they work good for target fish ( can't think of the proper name ) are giant danioes ( a descent school of them).

in my 20 plus years of keeping cichlids that has never happened to me with africans or central and sounth americans. Now if you had a bunch of males of the same species you will have some loss in a small tank.

I completetly disagree with Zagggon !

You won`t go wrong with Synodontis Catfish , I`ve got some Petricola they are brilliant.
Multi`s work well as do Bristlenose Plecs.

My Synodontis Petricola

You won`t go wrong with Synodontis Catfish , I`ve got some Petricola they are brilliant.

My Synodontis Petricola

hi thank you everybody for replying i have a few plecs that im gonna put in there and i might get one of those cats too finances depending

My Synodontis Petricola

hi thank you everybody for replying i have a few plecs that im gonna put in there and i might get one of those cats too finances depending

Synodontis Petricola do not do well with only one, you should try to get at least four minimum, preferably six. :)

Most reactions

Back