Aequidens diadema, Paratilapia polleni

miggi

Reaction score
I'm responsible for rehoming them. (Long story) :blink: But not sure about keeping them myself, I would really appreciate a little first hand experience.... anyone ???

Not a ton of info out there on Aequidens diadema. It's a central american cichlid.
Size: 4"
Temperment: More aggressive than you might expect, but usually managable
Availability: Fairly uncommon
Breeding: Difficult for cichlids (breeding easy, getting viable fry hard)
Tank size: 30+ gallons
Closest thing to a decent writeup: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/...?article_id=184

Paratilapia polleni (same as or similar to P. bleekeri) is probably the most commonly available cichlid from Madagascar.
Size: ~12"
Temperment: Mixed reviews, but most say shy and aggressive; piscavore
Availability: Fairly uncommon
Tank size: 75+ gallons
Decent article: http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=117

I have no idea if these two can be housed together, but wouldn't on general principle. Two aggressive fish of very different sizes from opposite sides of the world probably don't mix. If you don't want them longterm, you can probably sell either to a cichlid keeper, as neither is exceptionally common.

Hope that helps...

The P.polleni will eat the other Cichlid eventually, no doubts about it, that mouth is designed for the sole reason of engulfing and swallowing large prey.

The P.polleni will eat the other Cichlid eventually, no doubts about it, that mouth is designed for the sole reason of engulfing and swallowing large prey.

I have paratilapia polleni. I have spawned them in an aquarium too. They tend not to be friendly towards each other even when a sexed pair. I have kept singular fish of this type at 6" body length with a comunity of everetti barbs, nematocharax venustus, congo tetras, rasboras with no problems at all. They readily take pellets, prawns, bloodworm, worms flake etc. I would not trust one with small tetras and guppys etc as they would be eaten. As for the quote above, I find it hard to believe that even an adult (which I have seen at approximately 12") would "engulf and swallow large prey", especially a 4" A. diadema. I do not believe this cichlid is a highly preditory fish, none of the 5 I have owned have been even when give the oppertunity. Anyway, there are not that many cichlids that wont feed on small tetras etc given the chance for example large angels.

Modernhamlet seems to give a better disciption.

There also seems to be some confusion to exactly how many types of polleni there actually are.

I have been pondering over this most of the day. I say most cause I ended up taking a road trip today. and before everyone drops dead. here is just some thoughts.

thought #1

housing any fish that is clearly has the potential to become a fish eating monster with other fish is just tempting fate and I would not be surprised if that 4 inch fish became dinner or at the very least become very dead....

thought #2

the profile provided on the Diadema puts them a wee bit north of where a large majority of the acara species reside so I decided that there was only one way to cure this urge that I had and I went to Cichlid-Forums where that urge was confermed. Diadema are actually from South America like the large majority of their cousins.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=159

now I say majority because there actually are acara species that do reside in the southern parts of Central America, but not this one.

just some info that I had on hand. and knowing me I probably worded this wrong so don't take any offense.

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. With my current set up, I might, only might, be able to house the diadema. But I'm not too keen, I like my set up the way it is, might cause toooooo much friction, I'm trying to persuade my laetacara to breed so that would just blow that out the water! lol
Guess I've decided then. So if anyone in the east midlands you know might be interested in either, pm me. I may be taking them to auction if not. Not sure yet.
And as I say, I have no idea how big either is at the mo. I'll let you know when I know! :blink:
Thanks again
- any more info is appreciated greatly!
Marie

thought #1

housing any fish that is clearly has the potential to become a fish eating monster with other fish is just tempting fate and I would not be surprised if that 4 inch fish became dinner or at the very least become very dead....

My P. polleni have done neither, firstly because it is of paramount inportance that a good fish keeper should be able to select fish that are compatible to keep within their community set up. And secondly having kept P. polleni in with satanoperca species with no problems there is no reason why the 4" fish should become dinner or dead. Just because a species of fish has a large mouth it doesnt necessarily mean its going to eat all the fish in the tank or kill them.

housing any fish that is clearly has the potential to become a fish eating monster with other fish is just tempting fate

Would you include pterophyllum species into this as these can become this? In fact a lot of fish can show this atribute if given the oppertunity.

fishman 1 said:
Would you include pterophyllum species into this as these can become this? In fact a lot of fish can show this atribute if given the oppertunity.

given the right tankmates and enough tank space anything is possible. I personally keep ALL of my cichlids seperated. if they are not in a tank alone they are divided.

does that mean that I would tempt fate by keeping a 12" polleni in a tank with a 4 inch fish No I wouldn't. that would be akin to saying that its alright to keep a 4 inch JD in with a 12 inch midas. someone would have to be braindead to try that but does it mean that it wouldn't work? no if you happen to have a 200 gallon tank or more the JD very well could make it. but the average hobbiest doesn't have access to large tanks let alone enough room to house those tanks.

Deep breath guys, I didnt mean to cause a war! I do believe that tempament varies so much from fish to fish that yes sometimes you can mix them in the right situation. Some dogs get on with cats - but that doesnt mean you can take any dog and any cat and lock them in a room together lol! I wouldnt put a guppy in with a full grown angelfish. - tho a juvy might be different - short term!
Thankyou so much for your input, I really do appreciate it. I was very interested in the different views too, - I think the two fish must be in the same tank at the moment, so I'm guessing the polleni isnt full grown!! I'll find out soon enough.
Cheers
Marie

There is no war here miggi.

I am just defending the polleni cichlids reputation.

Mine have never been the "fish eating monster" as portraid in this thread.
As for the overall size of the polleni females do not attain 12" as they stay at around 8". The show full size for a male was 8.5". That had stayed for some time untill last year when an exceptional specimen appeared on the show bench. The size was then increased nearer to the 12" mark. As I state though this is an exceptional specimen.

It is not really fair to compare the polleni to a midas with regards to agression. In fact there is no comparison as midas are thugs.

given the right tankmates and enough tank space anything is possible. I personally keep ALL of my cichlids seperated. if they are not in a tank alone they are divided.

I tend to keep a lot of my cichlids away from each other. Mainly because i do not want them getting damaged at all.

The size of the aquarium is not always the answer. It mainly comes down to if you are mixing species you have got to get the combinations right.

Most reactions

Back