Advise On Lighting Please

Chris_C

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Sorry to put this in here but the forum seems fairly quiet lately so want to make sure traffic is passing through :D

Can someone advise me on what lighting i need.. i am currently running 2 x 39w t5's on my tank but not sure if this is enough to keep corals healthy.

I have a few frags (hammer / gorg / kenya tree / mushrooms) and also a torch coral.

I have manged to get some money together so want to know what will be best to get. My tank is 3ft wide (100cm) but with the the trim piece that goes around the tank it is 102cm.

Looking for a unit that will sit on top and not hang from the ceiling :good:

what ae the other dimensions of the tannk? depth is most important when considering lighting.

what are the long term coral plans for this tank aswel? stick with softies and the odd LPS?

if so i would look for a unit with 4 T5's. This will give you plenty of light for softies and LPs with good growth if waters ok. Make sure the unit you get has a reflector for each individual tube rather than one big one though!

Hi Ben, the depth is 2 foot. The torch coral and frags i have at the moment seem really happy under the current light but would rather upgrade and make sure there is enough light etc.. anychance of some links on suggestions? i have looked at so many lights online and im getting confused with them all now :lol:

Also forgot to mention i dont have any actinic light on the tank at the moment either so would be wanting enough light aswell as having the actinic lighting.

ati powermodule 4x39 would would be the one id get if you can afford it! you could easily add some blue lights to a 4 tube fixture and have enough light! you could do 3 white one blue

£400 seems to going rate and is over my price range unfortunately. Looking to spend half of that :lol: maybe less if possible.

Would this be any good? or is there any better suggestions?

http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium-1/aquarium-lighting/aquarium-t5-lighting/black-t5-fish-tank-lights-four-bulbs.html

:D

Personally I'm waiting for the aqualumi by iquatics to come back into stock. Probably not a contender for the ATI but at a 3rd of the price with tubes I reckon it's worth a punt. Also it claims to have individual reflectors for approx 80% improvement not as good as ATI but probably better than the pond solutions one which probably has a single flat reflector claims 50%. There 3ft+ 6 tube unit is 102cm and £150 with tubes.

Personally I'm waiting for the aqualumi by iquatics to come back into stock. Probably not a contender for the ATI but at a 3rd of the price with tubes I reckon it's worth a punt. Also it claims to have individual reflectors for approx 80% improvement not as good as ATI but probably better than the pond solutions one which probably has a single flat reflector claims 50%. There 3ft+ 6 tube unit is 102cm and £150 with tubes.

So would you suggest i wait then? i'm inpatient you see :hyper:

Going to get the iquatics one Uriel suggested. Going to get the 6 tube model rather than the 4 :D should be plenty for most corals i think :fun:

http://www.iquaticsonline.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=141&category_id=51&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53&redirected=1&Itemid=53&vmcchk=1&Itemid=53

I think its a bargain at £150 delivered to my front door :D

contacted iquatics and they wont be available until the end of may :( ahh well will just have to wait :lol:

Nothing good in reef keeping happens fast :p
But seriously it's only 4 weeks.

Nothing good in reef keeping happens fast :p
But seriously it's only 4 weeks.

I know i know :sad: but technically lights dont go into the reef so i shouldnt have to wait :angry: i am amazed how well my current frags and torch coral are doing under my 2 39w t5's. I was under the impression it was nowhere near good enough after scanning the net. I beg to differ after watching mine happily opening up etc..

Still going to upgrade though as i want a brighter tank and more light can only help with coral growth etc.. What are you going with Uriel? 4 white and 2 blue tubes? or are you having the 4 tube model?

I'm going 6 tube 4ft model. I'll probably order a few different tubes and try some combinations and see what i like. 4 white 10-14k and 2 blue is quite a common choice but there are all sorts. Some people add a pink/purple tube, some mix in 1 or 2 6500k. 1 of the advantages of T5 is the ability to mix tubes. I'm sure some of the more experienced reefers can offer insight into there lighting combo's.

Yeah would be good to hear peoples opinions on the best light etc..

Can someone tell me why these are so expensive when its just a 4 tube unit but double the price of the iquatic units..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Arcadia-1000mm-OT2-Marine-Over-Tank-Luminaire-AG44TM-/250755296739?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item3a622e2de3#ht_4347wt_1135

Most reactions

Back