Advise For Cleaning Filters

Any advise on the best way to clean out my filter without doing too much damage to the good bacteria in there?

just squeeze the sponge in old tank water that you have just taken out, this way it will preserve the bacteria, and get rid of some physical particles :good:

I usually just rinse the filter media, (sponges) in tank water and put them back in place. I wouldn't mess around in there too much cos that's where the bulk of your friendly bacteria resides. Hope this helps,
D

agreed, i normally sqeeze the sponge in tank water and pull out any big lumps of plant from the filter

Ok, thanks =] I just asked as mine is covered in algae and wondered if the algae could grow inside as well, so having to clean it out.

Best to clean it every couple of weeks. if it's covered in algae it won't work to it's optimum. I've heard it's a good idea to have a smaller, 2nd filter in there too so you can alternate between cleaning one every week and it ensures you're not doing too much damage to the tank by disturbing with the good bacteria. I'm considering doing it.

Most reactions

Back