Advice On How To Change Substrate

joelus

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post, my name is Joel, I'm new to keeping fish - I have had my tank about 6 months.

I had 2 albino corys, one of them died last week and it was only then I realised that the other has no barbels.
After reading up a bit I've realised that a) I need to get more corys and b) I probably need to change the substrate in my tank.
It is currently gravel, and I want to make it finer, maybe sand? I'm just not sure how to go about doing this:
Can I just add a layer of sand over what's already there or should I replace it all together?
What about my plants? Apparently plants don't like a sandy substrate.
In addition to the remaining albino cory I have zebra danios, cardinal tetras, white skirt(I think the shopkeeper said it was called), and a spotted cory (which is new and thus still has it's barbels!)
Any advice?
Thanks

your best removing all the old substrate and then adding the sand, otherwise the sand will sink below the gravel.
Sand is fine for plants i`ve used it for years with no problems.
to add sand to your tank simply start by washing your sand, REALLY REALLY well, no matter how well you wash it it will still cloud up your tank, but won`t cause any harm. once you have the sand washed scoop out all the old substrate, and give the tank a hefty water change, (fish should be removed for this process)
then poor the new sand in arrange the tank decor and plants ect, then add your fish

I don't bother removing the fish when I change the substrate. I simply scoop out the gravel with a fish net and once the gravel is gone I pour the clean sand in.
If you have a power filter than turn it off when you pour the sand in to prevent it being sucked into the filter and damaging it. Make sure the intake pipe on the filter is a couple of inches above the sand.
The other thing you can do is use a shallow plastic container and put sand in that. Then put the container in the tank. The gravel can be pushed aside for the container and then the catfish can play in the sand or the gravel.

I don't bother removing the fish when I change the substrate. I simply scoop out the gravel with a fish net and once the gravel is gone I pour the clean sand in.

My only caveat to this is the gravel should be vacuumed first. The last think you want is to have really dirty gravel that hasn't been vacuumed that when you disturb it it releases toxins into the water. That would not be a good thing.

Now, if you've been doing regular weekly water changes along with a deep gravel vacuum with a python or such then you'll be fine.

In order to keep the stress down on the inhabitants, you could use a plastic divider stuck into the gravel in the middle of the tank. You then remove the gravel from one side and replace with sand, letting the fish hide on the other side, then replace the other side.

Of course, doing it this way you won't get out every piece of gravel, but that's ok.

Cheers.

My only caveat to this is the gravel should be vacuumed first. The last think you want is to have really dirty gravel that hasn't been vacuumed that when you disturb it it releases toxins into the water. That would not be a good thing.
Now, if you've been doing regular weekly water changes along with a deep gravel vacuum with a python or such then you'll be fine.
Good catch Cory Dad. I totally agree with you. Make sure you gravel clean the substrate first otherwise the tank will go black :)
Sorry I should have mentioned that. I just assume everyone gravel cleans their tank when they do a water change.

Sorry to hijack your thread but i'm planning on getting some cory's soon and i've got gravel not sand now can I just make like a little sandpit area of my tank? Like one corner by putting the sand in a container and clearing out a little area of gravel and putting it in the tank? Would that be alright for them or should I just replace the whole substrate?

A sand pit will work for a while but why would you want it? Over a fairly short time the sand and gravel will start crossing the line between substrates. It will progress even faster if there is no physical barrier between them. What you end up with is blurred lines between the substrates ans eventually it is a big mess. In the meantime, the cories will spend most of their time on the sand pit rather than spending time all over the tank looking good. To me the greatest thing about the cories is that, unlike so many other other bottom dwellers, they are an active part of the whole tank setup and I would hate to ruin that aspect by restricting their movements to one area.

A sand pit will work for a while but why would you want it? Over a fairly short time the sand and gravel will start crossing the line between substrates. It will progress even faster if there is no physical barrier between them. What you end up with is blurred lines between the substrates ans eventually it is a big mess. In the meantime, the cories will spend most of their time on the sand pit rather than spending time all over the tank looking good. To me the greatest thing about the cories is that, unlike so many other other bottom dwellers, they are an active part of the whole tank setup and I would hate to ruin that aspect by restricting their movements to one area.

Alright thanks alot I think i'll just change the whole substrate instead of the sandpit idea.

Will the gravel be alright for them though if I don't change the substrate for a while? Its not a rough gravel its just small pebble type gravel so they are all smooth and tiny no rough edges.

If it's pea pebble sized and smooth then there is no problem. In fact there is a debate on which is better; pea pebble or sand, with good arguments for both. Most of mine are in gravel and I have one tank with (smooth?) silica sand. The ones in the sand love to stick their snouts into the sand and filter it through their gills. But tonight I just noticed that their barbels don't appear to be as long as they were when I first got them (I think). Could be the sand so I'm going to keep my eye out for a replacement.

Good luck.

I was thinking about getting a pygmy/dwarf cory. So, do they have to be kept in schools, or could I just get one? And if I do need to get more then 1-2 how many is recommended? I have a 10 Gal tank with currently 5 female betta (maybe a sixth, she's in a quarantine tank and I may just keep her there) would it be worthwhile to get some/one corries/cory?
btw, reason I posted here instead of making a new topic is I was interested in how to change the substrate =P If I do get cory/corries I'll need to switch over to sand. Also I'm assuming just regular old play sand would work, correct me if I'm wrong!

Yes, play sand will work once thoroughly washed, as Ive heard. However in your tank, I probably wouldn't add anymore fish as your tank is fully stocked as it is. If you ever do get cories, the suggested minimum is 6 (Although more is better!).

Most reactions

Back