Advice On Fish Please

i have another question, well a few lol, i hav fine black gravel in my tank, do you need to change the gravel? how often does it need to be changed? how do i change it? thanks, emma

also if i took the sharks out how many other fish could i add to the tank i have at the moment without it becoming over crowded. e.g could i add a couple of dwarf gouramis or swordtails? i saw some today and they looked really nice. Thanks again.

The gravel you set your tank up with can be used as long as you use the tank. I have one of those 6 ft tanks that has the same gravel in it thqat it had when I set it up over 30 years ago. I have changed most of the decor repeatedly and have moved rocks around and changed driftwood and plants. The heaters in the tank have been relaced a couple of times. The custom lighting on top is only about 8 years old. The filter on the tank is only 4 years old and replaced a pair of HOB filters that I used 30 years ago but the gravel is still the same old stuff.
If you are using the plastic coated stuff for gravel it may wear out. I just don't know because I have always used real sand and gravel in my tanks.

thanks for all your advice, am thinkin about gettin a larger tank very soon so may keep the sharks. If not i will take them back as i dont want them to be unhappy. Wish the man at the lfs had told me about this when i asked what fish i could have -_- . Thanks again for all ure help. emma

Most shops are there to take your money, not to tell you not to buy something.

Most reactions

Back