Advice On External Filter

Scott_T_27

Reaction score
Hi
I have just treated myself, after persuading the Mrs, and upgraded my tank. I have gone from an interpet 64ltr fish box to a Juwel Rio 180ltr :)
I have transferred everything from fish box to my rio, fish, ornaments, heater and filter.
The filter is an interpet PF2 internal filter, which says it can run a tank up to 180 ltr so i will use this very short term, as im not convinced? I want to run this on an external filter and get it established before I start upping my stock levels. I have been reading up on some external filters but can't decide what to go for? Will you please give me some advice on experience you have had personally and which filter you prefer.
I have read on some of the other topics on here people seem to reccomend tetra tec ex1200, fluval 306, and of course eheim, but these seem a bit more pricey that the others.
I would be grateful for any help and advice you can give.

Thanks in advance
Scott

I recommend EHeim externals as I have used a few and never had a problem. 

I havent had the ecco pro range but Eheim on a whole are very good in my opinion

I have two EHEIM ecco pro's on my new project, see link below for more info.  I have yet to turn them on, but from the build etc., I am confident in these filters.

I am also running an All Ponds Solutions external with UV light on a 215L aquarium.  It is virtually silent, which is great considering it is in the bedroom.  They are good filters for the money, but be aware their customer support is not good, they have a phone number, ring it and you will see, there is nobody to answer it ;)

Thanks guys. Someone else has mentioned all pond solutions to me. Think I'm gunna go with the eheim Ecco pro. I'll update later with progress :)

Be sure to put your old filter media in the new filter, whichever one you choose.

I have been looking into some today and think I am going to go for All Pond Solutions 1400EF + UV filter. This looks really good.
Do I need to but my old media in the new filter or can I just run them both at the same time until the new filter gets established? If so how long roughly would this take?

I believe it takes several weeks to cycle the new filter regardless. Are you planning to use your old filter with another tank? You can take some of the media out of that one and put it in the new one. I think you can take up to 1/3 of it (replace what you take with new media) and that will at least help with the cycling process.

Honestly mate don't do it, 

I have heard some really good stuff about the (All Pond Solutions) filters. 
But if a part fails you will be very lucky to get a replacement within a week or two. 
Eheim filters are the daddies, but most people have the same parts supply issues with these. 

I would see what your local fish shop stocks, Find the price that you like online and see if they will price match. 

Ok well I'm not getting the all pond solutions filter I mentioned earlier because the one first one I looked at is out of stock and the 1400 won't fit in my cabinet! Online now looking for best price on eheim!
I liked the sound of the all pond solutions as they had the built in UV filter, do I really need a UV filter??

Only had my new tank 2 days and I'm already doing the wife's head in lol, glad I have you guys on here to chat to :)

I have the ehiem ecco pro 130 as one of two filters in a tank and would say its a good filter and due to the low wattage cheap to run, less media than their classic range like I have in an other tank but still plenty for what its rated for. Priming after giving it a clean can be a pain till you get used to it. almost bought a spare one from dobbies when it was on sale for £40. wish I did now

Right, so after doing some serious research online, taking into account everything from, flow rate to price, number of media trays to size on unit, I have opted for a tetra tec ex 700. I think this will do the trick. I will post update with pictures once up,and running for a few day.
Thanks for all the help and advice once again guys :)
Scott

I've heard a lot of people here who recommend these. Good luck and we'll look forward to the photos!

Well my tetra tec EX700 arrived today and I can say I am impressed with the build quality! Really easy and simple to put together and so easy to prime. I also can't believe how quiet it is, think its quieter than the internal I had in before :)
So far I can say I am very happy with my choice :)

Not a big fan of Eheim filters. Before anyone replies, I've had I think 12 different Eheim filters in my life and non of them were as efficient or easy to use as the Fluval range. Honestly Eheim filters can become very tricky to use and maintain after a year, I had one start to leak after a year which caused a lot of damage to the floor! It appears many of the Eheim filters are prone to leaking so if you get one it would be best to cut the pipe's down so they're near the surface incase it leaks so that it doesn't drain the whole tank.

Fluval all the way for me, much easier to maintain and prime, more effective with better designs and only slightly more expensive. The allpondsolutions filters are actually more reliable than Eheim filters. The reason Eheim produce soo many spare parts is because of the high demand, which is basically saying they fail very often and people are always looking for new parts.

Most reactions

Back